edited September 2023

sorry double post again

fin1.jpg
    1495 x 1298 - 533K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,248
    edited September 2023

Example, that stuff 3dage did. Apply physics to the people falling, etc., 

I want to try that soon, I think. The thing is, he was able to go from animation keyframes to physics in the same scene. Can't remember what software he used. Houdini?

I'm just wondering, since I can convert back to keyframes, if I could run a Simulation from and end pose, convert back to keyframe, then slide those keys down and put an NLA before it that ends at the same starting point as the physics sim... I'm going to try it. Perhaps with my new LoRez Police! So glad to scratch that pack off my wish list and into my library!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

I only did it with millenium kids turned to objs 

I tried ragdoll last week halfheartedly but no joy (but no pain either :) )

I think the bounding boxes (and mesh res ? according to Andy)  are the clue with bullet and the only paremeters (apart from bounce friction etc) we have for that part are Scene>physics parametsr.

For collison box I assume we have <Collision Distance> 

I find stuff like this vaguly interesting 

And this explains things I never knew I didn't need to know

this is what I am doing at the moment off topic love a few parameters

edited September 2023

Vaguely Interesting - It's that driving beat, man! That'll make anything more palatable!

Explain things I didn't need to know - LOL!!! Forgot to fasten my seatbelt!!!

Parameters - Cool! That's you? What are you making? How do you like your printer?

Millennium Kids - They just keep coming back for more, eh? 

Well, if the ragdoll thing doesn't work out, I won't be heartbroken. But I'd like to try it and see what happens anyway. 

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited September 2023

Headwax said:

Printing out a surfboard fin. All the people who know 'everything' tell me it won't work but I've been riding them successfully for six months (after three months r and d).

I fin weighs say 75 grams, a kilo of the stuff I am using (corn based with secret additaives known only to the chinese maker) costs me 22 to 30 bucks Australian.

For four fins commercially bought it's around $180 ? Versus 3d printing at say $10 so there a big push for t 3d printed fins to fail ....

Mind you my outlay has been around $2000 :) heh. I tried carbon fibre infused nylon for 80 bucks a kilo and got zilch.

But the joy of making them is priceless.

The larger fins I put a carbon fibre rod in for stiffness. It's all about loading the fins up and letting them unload at a ceratin point in the turn.

What the armchair experts don't realise that stiffness of a fin increases by thepower of three with each incrmenet of  thickness. And that thcker fins have better foil. A win win situation.

Plus I have found a certain material that when printed correctly (Hot) doesnt fracture.

For modelling the fins lofting in carrara was a PITA but I have found an online source that gives me low res that I fix up to be high res fin meshes

On RagDoll Physics - don't quote me on that, I need to look up a strict definition!

Very freaking Cool!!! You Go Headwax!!!

As for the Ragdoll physics... yeah. I think that's what it's called.

edited September 2023

Thanks, will avalook :) Be interested in your experiments with keyframe to physics and back again!

I had a play with this one - the small chain loops kept breaking till I increased the collision distance to 38 percent - I zooomed in on the part where they were breaking and you can see how the collison distance effects the parts

Untitled-2.jpg
    1672 x 1301 - 378K

Yes. I did a lot of collision distance experiments with the Rosie 5 dynamic hair as well. Each layer of dynamic hair (4 layers) used different collision distances - and those would change depending on the amount (velocity mostly, I think) of motion in the scene - how poofy I wanted the hair.

To keep the hair from falling too flat, I'd up the collision distance but that would also cause it to really float about, so I'd apply more or less pressure using the many Forces I had attached to Rosie 5 to keep it all somewhat contained. Opposite forces combined with positive forces combined with collision distance, friction, bounce... it was a lot of fun! Maddening fun!

Funny. I'm watching "Light & Magic right now on Disney + while I wait for my renders. Fascinating. And they're really driving the idea home that their entire careers (for each of them) is based around achieving things that have not yet been done - mainly because it hasn't become possible within the technological industry yet - so they invent their way in. 

I love that!

And these folks truly are genius - they really do solve these things and, luckily for me (us), it all gets filtered into society for us all to use - hence the invention of... you guessed it... Carrara! Thanks Eovia and Daz 3d!!!