Transfering Daz3D from an old computer to a new computer

Hello everybody! :) Yesterday, I bought a new computer with windows 11, I had the opportunity to upgrade and I took the chance. I was originally using a laptop with Daz 4.10 on Windows 8, it was a great computer and it handled Daz3D very well, but it was starting to get really slow and sometimes not responding for a long time, so I had to retire it. My question is, how do I transfer all the characters, hairs, enviroments... And everything else I've installed manually in my old Windows 98 computer to the Windows 11 computer? I want it to be that when I open Daz 4.10 on my Window 11 computer it is exactly as it was with the Daz3D in my Windows 8 computer. Is that possible?

Comments

• Copy the content directory/directories across and tell Daz Studio where they are. Optionally copy the %appdata%/daz 3d/studio4/ folder across (has most settings). You can also copy the /%appdata%/daz3d/cms/ folder across, but make suer that all applicatioins using the content management system (Daz Studio, the isntalaltion applications, Carrara etc.) are closed before doing so. The actual location of the content dorectories doesn't matter as long as DS knows where they are, but the things in %appdata% do need to match up.

• adoniogtsadoniogts Posts: 98
    edited September 2023

Thanks for the response Richard Haseltine! I can't thank you enough for all your words of wisdom using Daz! :)

I have two questions, when you say "Copy the content directory/directories across and tell Daz Studio where they are." You mean copy only the 'DAZ 3D' folder that is in 'My PC>My Documents' as you can see on the first image? I ask because there are other folders in 'My PC>Windows8_OS>DAZ 3D' that say "DAZ 3D" in 'Program Files' and 'Program Files (x86) that you can see in the second and third image. Should I copy from my old computer to my new computer all the folders in both 'Program Files' that say DAZ3D or should I just copy the DAZ 3D folder in 'My PC>My Documents'?

About the %AppData% you mention in "Optionally copy the %appdata%/daz 3d/studio4/ folder across (has most settings). You can also copy the /%appdata%/daz3d/cms/ folder across". I searched for the %AppData% folder that said 'daz 3d' in 'My PC' and as you can see in the fourth image, those where the results my computer found, but none of them had any 'daz 3d' folder.

Image 1: https://ibb.co/HYHjq4Z
    Image 2: https://ibb.co/phKdJHw
    Image 3: https://ibb.co/RSZ5nZn
    Image 4: https://ibb.co/F5Z8V8H

Post edited by adoniogts on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189

What you want to copy is the 'content' of your library, as you have in image 1.

If you go into DS and look in Edit > Preferences > Content > Content Directory manager you will see the path for DS and Poser. The path listed there must match the path(s) that you copy your content to. So if you copy to a different path you must also change them (in your new) DS.

You do NOT want to copy program files.

The data in %appdata%/daz 3d/studio4/ are settings, and you might want to copy those if you have personalized DS.

• adoniogtsadoniogts Posts: 98
    edited September 2023

So I have to copy the DAZ 3D folder in My Documents, download Daz 4.10 in my new computer, then link the downloaded daz 4.10 program to the DAZ 3D folder?

The data in %appdata%/daz 3d/studio4/, where can I find this %appdata% folder? I've searched for every %appdata% folder in My PC but I've yet to find one that says daz 3d. Is there a way I can locate it directly in the Daz 3D program?

Post edited by adoniogts on

You can only download the newest DS version (4.21) unless you have backed up the installers.

I think Richard forgot a part of the path (I copied his...). It should be %appdata%/Roaming/daz 3d/studio4/

Full path if you look on your C drive would probably be in C:Users/"Your_user_name" (on the PC). But be aware that the folder is hidden, which is why you probably don't see it.

• %appdata% is an environment variable that expands to /users/profile name/app data/roaming, saving the usual comment about having to select the correct user profile.

Richard Haseltine said:

%appdata% is an environment variable that expands to /users/profile name/app data/roaming, saving the usual comment about having to select the correct user profile.

Oh, nice. Not something I usually use.

But tested it and brought me right to the right folder.