How to tell what is cloggin up RAM in scene?

Hi, I hope this is a simple question. I noticed that when I used a particular hair product, my render slows down significantly. However, I have a lot of other things in the scene and want a more concrete way to tell. In this case, I'm using a G3F hair on G8.1F and used autofit fullbody. Is there a way to look into it and confirm or rule it out? Thank you.

Comments

• Some polygonal hairs can have millions of polygons. The transparency & scattering associated with those numbers can have a significant impact. 

Regards,

Richard

• richardandtracy said:

Some polygonal hairs can have millions of polygons. The transparency & scattering associated with those numbers can have a significant impact. 

Regards,

Richard

Yeah I'd imagine. But do the sizes of these assets bloat when they're fit to figures they weren't made for? Like G3F hair on G8.1F in this case 

• No idea. But I do know something like Caprice Hair has well over a million facets IIRC. That's pretty heavyweight. Regards, Richard.
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189

DefaultName said:

richardandtracy said:

Some polygonal hairs can have millions of polygons. The transparency & scattering associated with those numbers can have a significant impact. 

Regards,

Richard

Yeah I'd imagine. But do the sizes of these assets bloat when they're fit to figures they weren't made for? Like G3F hair on G8.1F in this case 

They will fill the same in the render engine.

The difference is that if you autosave it, and do not save it as a new item, your scene file will be much larger, as that will contain the geometry of the autofitted hair. 

• FalcoFalco Posts: 240

I've used both Scene Optimizer and Iray Memory Assistant to help figure it out.  The only time something might sneak through is if there a displacement setting set too high in a material somewhere, I don't remember if those scripts can catch those.  

• sometimes D|S just hangs onto RAM and for that matter VRAM even after deleting stuff from a scene and nothing short of rebooting will get ot back

• felis said:

DefaultName said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

They will fill the same in the render engine.

The difference is that if you autosave it, and do not save it as a new item, your scene file will be much larger, as that will contain the geometry of the autofitted hair. 

Autosave and save as a new item? Do you mean the scene itself? Or are you meaning like, saving it as an obj, then just using that? 

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

I mean the render engine need the actual geometry, no matter where it come from.

For items you have saved, scene files will only have a reference to the saved file.

An autofitted object is considered a new object, and must therefore either be saved seperatly or as part of the scene file.