Issue resaving strand based G9 Hair Products for G8M

FalcoFalco Posts: 240

I purchased a G9 strand based hair product from the store that I'd like to use on a G8M char, but I'm running into some issues that I don't understand. I think these problems are unique to strand based hair and I'm not understanding how the conversion would need to be done compared to standard clothing items which work fine with the process below.   

1. I autofit the G9 hair (in this case Zander Hair, but this happens with multiple hair products) to G8M, using the Genesis 9 MMX clone.  

2. It correctly autofits, with some small penetrations with the haircap that I fix in zbrush.  (I believe only the haircap is fit to the character, with the hair itself attached to the haircap?)

3.  I save all parts of the hair as new items under a new name so there is no overlap in files. 

4.  I save it as a wearable for future use. At this point everything looks and works perfectly. 

5.  However, if I then apply the wearable to the character, the haircap applies correctly, but the pieces of hair are placed in the center of the face, rather than being attched to the haircap.  

What do I need to do to re attach the hair to the haircap?

Post edited by Falco on

Comments

• FalcoFalco Posts: 240
    edited September 2023

Image to show the issue:

Post edited by Falco on
  • Yes, this is an issue with Strand Based Hair when the base geometry is changed. You might try adjusting the unconverted hair cap to fit on the Genesis 8 Male head, so the base is unchanged and it is modifiers doing the work (I can't recall if this works for sure, so do a proof-of-concept before applying a lot of effort).

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

Richard Haseltine said:

Yes, this is an issue with Strand Based Hair when the base geometry is changed. You might try adjusting the unconverted hair cap to fit on the Genesis 8 Male head, so the base is unchanged and it is modifiers doing the work (I can't recall if this works for sure, so do a proof-of-concept before applying a lot of effort).

If I understand your suggestion, the cap won't be "fit to" the G8M character, will it? I don't think it will follow character morphs that way, will it? I guess you could adjust it the head shape of your finallized character and not expect it to conform to other shapes. Will it follow poses if you parent it to the character's head?

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

A parented, but not fitted, hair will follow poses, but not morphs.

That is the generic way to use hair on other generations, if autofit doesn't work properly, or it is unwanted due to custom bones.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

Thanks, felis.

• barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Yes, this is an issue with Strand Based Hair when the base geometry is changed. You might try adjusting the unconverted hair cap to fit on the Genesis 8 Male head, so the base is unchanged and it is modifiers doing the work (I can't recall if this works for sure, so do a proof-of-concept before applying a lot of effort).

If I understand your suggestion, the cap won't be "fit to" the G8M character, will it? I don't think it will follow character morphs that way, will it? I guess you could adjust it the head shape of your finallized character and not expect it to conform to other shapes. Will it follow poses if you parent it to the character's head?

Right, though at least for morphs that enlarge a Smoothign Modifier with Colision Detection on may help. But this is a drawback of the approach, certainly.

• FalcoFalco Posts: 240

I tried various things with no real success, and yea not being able to follow morphs is kind of a dealbreaker.  That's a bummer, I guess I'll have to avoid G9 strand based hair products from now on unless a solution is found in the future.