Gens Materials Disappearing

So I've looked for an answer to this and everything I've found are questions from people who don't know how to apply their materials to genitals or can't find the materials for G9, not realizing that many vendors are not providing them. 

My issue is that I properly applied skin materials to a figure, including genitals, and everything looked great and fine. I was doing some alterations to the base skin, got it how I wanted it to look, then moved on with starting to add hair, eye color, etc. and eventually at some point noticed that the materials for the genitals had disappeared. I tried to reapply them, and the images showed properly in the Base Image and everything, but the genitals were still completely white like when you first load them. I deleted the gens entirely, re-added them, same problem. I tried different skins with different materials. I closed Daz and came back the next day and loaded new gens again, same issue. I even tried non-base figure gens to see if that would fix it, and it is having the same issue, so it has to be something with the figure itself, but I have no idea what the problem could be.

I assume that if I start over with a fresh character, it will work fine, but I've done a lot of tweaking to this one and would rather learn how to fix this issue in case it happens again.  Thank you!

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

It sounds to me as you have applied a geoshell?!

• xstanxstan Posts: 37
    edited August 2023

If I have, I don't know how or where. I don't see anything that looks like a geoshell, but I also am not sure how to tell if one is "hiding".

Also, would a geoshell stay there even if I'm deleting and replacing the part?  It doesn't matter what gens I apply (male or female), or even if they are daz created gens at all, this happens.

Post edited by xstan on

I own some of them, but am not using any of them for this character.  He is basically an altered version of the TMA Aiden character with the Joan 9 skin (also edited).

edited August 2023

Oh my god, I found it. 

So, for some inexplicable reason, the Viking Fiber Hair Set (https://www.daz3d.com/viking-fiber-hair-set-for-ivar-9-and-genesis-9) is creating a geoshell that is affecting the gens. I do not know how or why, but removing it has fixed the problem. 

So, there is another item to add to the list if anyone else runs into this problem in the future.

Post edited by xstan on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

You can still use the hair, just set the geoshell off for the gens.

When using geoshells and geografts, needing to turn off geoshells for parts that do not belong to the base figure is just standard.

Yeah, I just didn't think to look for any kind of geoshell attached to hair, especially one affecting only the gens lol. I've never had that happen before and the geoshell wasn't obvious even when I was trying to find one. But, I did find it eventually and now I know what to look for when/if this happens again! 

Thanks for your help!