New Bryce Inclement Weather Product - How Much is Portable to Carrara?

I noticed that there was a new Bryce product in the store.  It includes a lot of weather elements.  I primarily use Carrara.  Does anyone know which of the product's contents can be ported to Carrara?  For example, many HDRI maps can just be loaded in Carrara's scene settings.  For many landscapes, I can either export the map and load it in Carrara's terrain editor or else export as an obj.  However, there are other Bryce functions that would be more difficult to transfer.  I also asked in the Carrara forum.

Here is the product's list of content.

http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-environments-inclement-weather

Bryce 7.1 Pro - Environments - Inclement Weather

What's Included and Features

• 15 scene files: (.BR7 and .BMP)
    • 06 inland landscapes
    • 07 shore landscapes
    • 02 scenes with an object
  • 06 HDRI:(.HDR)
    • 02 Medium resolution 2526 px diameter
    • 02 Low resolution 1024 px diameter
    • 02 Specular convolved 800 px diameter
  • 01 Object library (.OBP) with terrains and atmospheric effects
  • 01 Material library (.MAT) with terrain and sea materials
  • 05 videos: (.MP4)
    • 01 Introduction to precipitation in nature
    • 01 Explaining the inland landscape scenes
    • 01 Tutorial to create water splashes on a shore
    • 01 Explaining the shore landscape scenes
    • 01 Where the libraries belong, the HDRIs and object scenes
  • 02 QTVR showing the HDRIs interactively
  • 03 Documents (.PDF)
  • 08 Text Files: (.TXT)
    • 02 information about the HDRIs
    • 06 listing the content in the folders

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,296

diomede - though I have Carrara from v3 up to v8, I haven't used it much and understand it less. Terrains can be exported as mesh (either low poly or gigantic size) or as 16 bit unsigned integer greyscale TIFF. Carrara can import 16 bit greyscale integer TIFF (and also 32 bit grey float TIFF). Terrains in Carrara are 1 pixel larger on both sides, though that shouldn't be in the way.

HDRIs can be exported from the IBL tab in the spherical projection and as Radiance RGBE HDR files and are then compatible with Carrara. The size of the converted angular map is: diameter x 1.24 for the width and the height is half of that. The 2560 px diameter results in a 3174 x 1587 map. Of course, you can always transform them directly in an external program.

Maybe the video introduction to precipitation may be of some interest.

Materials are generally not compatible among different 3D applications, some can be adapted, others may prove very difficult. The product makes use of hyper-textures and I don't think Carrara has anything comparable and can use them. Fog and Haze are made with volumetric materials, maybe they can be adapted to Carrara.

To sum it up: terrains can be used, HDRIs can be used. To be honest, Bryce sometimes reduces a terrain to 8/24 bit when exported from the Terrain Editor. When I discovered this, I thought it was a permanent limitation or bug. Next time I tried, it worked fine. So it's a random bug.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099

Thank you for the excellent and detailed answer.  When I'm sure I have time to experiment, I will pick it up and see what I can do.  It looks great, so if I can get a worthwhile amount to cross over in a reasonable form, I'll keep it.  If not, Daz wll let me return it.

Maybe this will get me to brush off my Bryce.  I used it a little in Bryce 5, but haven't used it since updating to the current version.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,296

You're welcome. I sent you a PM.