I need some help with a lighting issue.

wmfl1980wmfl1980 Posts: 18
edited August 2023 in Art Studio

Hello, I can't figure out why the light I added to my scene doesn't show on my model when I enter Nvidia Iray mode in the viewport. The first image is the result I want, and the second is what I get.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I correct this?

I used Imgur because "Attach a file" isn't working for me.

Thank you.

Image 1, what I want.

Image 2, what I get in Nvidia Iray.

Post edited by wmfl1980 on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,712
    edited August 2023

How are you lightning the airplane?

And have you  set it to scene only in render settings?

Upload of pictures have been broken for a while, but it usually works around 18:00 to 24:00 Daz time (US MST).

Post edited by felis on
  • wmfl1980wmfl1980 Posts: 18

Thank you for your response, Felis. I used a single distant light. I didn't have it on scene only. When I changed that, the whole jet became black for a minute, and then little white dots began to appear in the area it should be lit.

New screenshot.

It looks like your light needs to be stronger.

I put the intensity and Luminius Flux paramiters into the quintillions. Nothing changed. Is there a different way to incrase the light's strength?

• Wheer is the light aimed? It looks to be pointing more-or-less up, so the sides of the mdoel facing the camera are receiving only a few bits of light that happen to bounce just right off other parts of the model. You should be able to select the light from the Camera/View seelction list at top-right of the Viewport - do that and make sure that it is seeing the parts of the model you want lit, at least for the most part.

The light is below the jet, pointed up, and the parts I want illuminated do appear in the light viewport.

• and in the camera view? With only a dsitant light in the scene most of the plane is going to be dark regardless.

Yes, I want most of the jet to be dark. I want the lighting from the first image to apply to the second, which has the hi-res textures.

Image 1 shows what I want the Nvidia Iray image to look like.

Image 2 shows what I get when I switch to Nvidia Iray with scene selected for a light source and the camera light turned off.

Have you set 'Draw Ground' to *Off'?

Setting Draw Ground to off helped considerably. I'm left wondering why I had so much trouble with such basic lighting. Every other render I've done has never required any of the fixes the two of you suggested.