Help needed for Iray SkyDome Super PAK

Justin_AmesJustin_Ames Posts: 139

Hi people :)

Today I purchased the beautiful Iray SkyDome Super PAK, Iray World Skydrome and Shantara. In short, everything I needed to recreate the image here : https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/29274/i/02-iray-skydome-super-pak-daz3d.jpg

The problem is that the ground isn't the same somehow and I'd want it to be like in the promo since I bought everything expecially for that. Here the example with my render (I haven't waited to complete the render because it would've take too long but we can clearly see that there is no water to be seen unlike in the promos): https://www.mediafire.com/file/pv2wjk9w7zievgd/No+Water.png/file

(Sorry for the links, it won't let me post previews for some reason)

Post edited by Justin_Ames on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

I don't have it.

But it says it has 18 water styles.

Have you applied a water style?

• Well that's the thing. I did. And it works at first, but as soon as I add the Shantara city, it's like there is a huge circle of ground that appears unlike in the promo picture. It hides all the water and doesn't make the same effect at all. 

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

If Shantana city has a groundplane of its own, it might be fighting with the waterplane.

Maybe consider the lower Shantana city 1-2 cm?

• It has a groundplane but even if I try to delete part of it with the geometry tool, it doesn't let me select the ground at all. And lowering the city only makes the ground completely disappear. I still need the ground. It's just too big and not the right shape.. I have no idea how they made it like on the promo but I really wanna find out cause it was the reason I bought it...

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,364

Is Shantarra set up for Iray? You may need an iray water preset for it to work.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102

Shantara City is not Iray. That image is using Shantara Cityscapes Supreme which is an addon for Shantara City, I have both.

https://www.daz3d.com/shantara-cityscapes-supreme

You can use the Iray Uber Base on all the surfaces.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,436

There appears to be some contouring of the ground around the city. The supplied ground is a simple plane with only surface details, no raised area to make a shoreline of some sort. It would need some sort of displacement map to outline that edge, or a custom ground prop. The Iray Worlds Skydome supplies the water surface, but with the flat ground, it is all or nothing if you raise the base (or lower the Shantara ground)

• May I ask what is a displacement map and a custom ground prop? I'm sorry I'm still kinda new to DAZ. But I'm very determined to learn how to make like on the picture with the water so please any information could help.

The supplied groundplane is just a flat plane with no elevation details. To get some change in elevation, even small undulations, requires either some kind of morphing ability, or a displacement map of some kind. The map graphically represents higher and lower values of the surface with a grayscale image (highest is pure white, lowest is pure black, or vice versa).

At render time the displacement is calculated and the surface is displaced in or out (or up/down). There has to be enough mesh to take the displacement effectively. Too few points, and it might just make a straight line across large expanses of a surface. The smooth curve of the "shoreline" in the promos suggests a carefully carved ground prop. You could make one with a plane with a fairly dense mesh and a smooth black and white contour displacement map. The uv map would probably be the same, so you could simply copy the surface from the original ground plane to the new contoured one.

Or, it is a custom-made part that has that shape. Options...

• Yeah I already checked all options and couldn't find it anywhere. Actually, I tried making it myself creating a plane yet when I try and cut it in the same rounded shapes it doesn't work. It only end up looking all squared like literally Minecraft level lol... I have zero idea how to do this correctly. I spent a 2 entire days trying to figure something out around that and it just wasn't possible to make it round.. 

A pretty high polygon count would be needed to appear smooth. Try doubling the number of divisions successively on that plane to see if it gets smooth enough. You can also make it high definition using a lower initial polycount by enabling sub-division (Edit -> Object -> Geometry -> Contert to SubD...) and effectively doubling the resolution with every increment of the SubD setting (View(port) and Render are separate, but related). (Parameters -> Mesh Reolution)