Cannot change "Selectable (in viewport)" setting - neither in scene navigator nor in parameters

Hi folks,

this now happened the second time on a character and I think I should find out what causes this. I open my working file where a group of 3 characters are in and one of them is not selectable in viewport. So I check the scene navigator and and find out that the little icon with the arrow shows an (x) instead of a checkmark. Clicking on the icon does not change anything. Then I go to Parameters > Display and there I see  "Selectable (in viewport)" is off... clicking here let the text "On" appear on the button for a short moment but as soon as I move my mouse away the button shows "off" again. For any reason I cannot change this setting anymore... this happened to another character in another sceen as well... but I think here it was not the character itself but the geoshell (jepes bodyhair) for which I was not able to change the setting to "selectable off". Log file shows nothing.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

Is the parameter locked?
    If it is, just unlock it.

• DissendiorDissendior Posts: 117

Strange... no, it was not locked but in the parameters settings where there are these three icons "options menu", "favorite state" and "locked state" for each property I see a fourth toggle for this character with the description "Toggler property overrides any controllers". So you gave me a hint for right direction but I don't know where this toggler comes from?! It is just on the "Selectbale in viewport" property and in no other

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175

Weird... that Link icon can be only displayed and valid when a property (dial) has a Controller(s).  It should not happen on this 'Selectable'... What is the character?

It is a character I've made on my own. Maybe I used a key combination by accident which creates a controller? How do I create a controller and how can I remove it? Or another idea: how can I find out if this slider has a controller?

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,436

On a slider, click the cog wheel at the far right and select "Parameter Settings..." If there is something controlling that slider, it will be in one of the tabs in the bottom half of the ensuing dialog, showing "Asset", possibly "Sub-Components", possibly "Controllers", and "Keys".

Click on the Controllers tab, if there is one, and you can see what component is driving that slider. The name of the controller will be shown, which you should be able to find somewhere in the parameters list. Right-click on the master slider and select "Edit Mode". You can delete the selected property, or show it in the "Property Hierarchy" to modify it. There might be other ways of doing it, but I have limited experience with that sort of thing.

If there is no "Controllers" tab, then that is not the problem, unfortunately.

Thank you for this... I was able to follow along the click-path you described and I actually see a controller. For one of the cases I found out that the geoshell for Jepe's bodyhair actually was having the trouble: I was not able to make it unselectable again. For this geoshell there is a controller "ERC [DeltaAdd] > Ben : Ben". Ben is my character and I think that I worked on the figure mesh in Blender and imported it as a morph for Genesis 8 base male. After the import of the morph I did an ERC freeze and before that I adjusted the rig ("Adjust Rigging to Shape"). Did I do something wrong here? 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175
    edited August 2023

In general you did nothing wrong but the culprit was just the shell. It was loaded with the mark of unselectable... i.e. the dial 'Selectable' was 'Off' as default, then you clicked on the icon to make it selectable, then the dial 'Selectable' was 'On', correct ? In that case, 'Selectable' had the value of 'On' in Currently Used, then you ERC Freeze on the dial of 'Ben', with the Geoshell attached. So 'Ben' was freezed as the Controller of 'Selectable' on the shell ... You could've found this 'Selectable' in the list of Freeze Properties, and should've unchecked it...

A better and safer way is: Use Dev Load to customize your new character, and do not attach anything as sub-node to the figure before ERC Freezing, at least do not change the value of any dial on the sub-nodes. But anyway, that geo-shell shouldn't have been set as unselectable as default, that was not correct, at least improper for the users...

Now, you can remove the controller from 'Selectable' and re-freeze ERC on Ben and re-save its morph asset.

Post edited by crosswind on