How do I rig car suspension shock absorbers? [Solved]

lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Control arms seem easy enough. But the shock absorbers change length and angle at the same time, wherein the "working" end of the shock absorber follows a path defined by a trigonometry function.

I wish I could make ERC's controller with trig functions.

So how do I do this? Is it done with things like "pinning" and "IK"?

Picture at: https://www.deviantart.com/luqu/art/How-Do-I-Rig-this-Suspension-977675119

Post edited by lukon100 on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843
    Check Dark Edge Design tutorials in the store. He is an excellent instructor, and has vehicle rigging tutorials that might help.
  • lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Thanks for the referrals to tutorials, you guys.

But I discovered a way to rig the shock absorbers by looking for clues on da internet. I parented nulls to the pivot points at both ends and made each half of the shock absorber "Point At" the null at the pivot point of the other half.

I don't know if this is the most elegant solution, but it works perfectly.

Proof of concept picture: https://www.deviantart.com/luqu/art/Suspension-All-Rigged-Up-977808889

• You'll find that the end point of the shock absorber follows an equation related to the angle of the swing arm. That, I believe, can be entered into the ERC. Not entirely sure how to do it at the moment, but if you got it to work without, it's probably better. Regards, Richard.
  • lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

richardandtracy said:

You'll find that the end point of the shock absorber follows an equation related to the angle of the swing arm. That, I believe, can be entered into the ERC. Not entirely sure how to do it at the moment, but if you got it to work without, it's probably better. Regards, Richard.

If you ever find out how to put trigonometry formulas into user-made property slider controls, please do let me know. I recall trying to do that years ago for a different project. I looked all over the "property heirarchy" window for such a thing, but found nothing.