Loading a saved prop gives me the grey box

TheCedizTheCediz Posts: 172

Hello guys, 
I have a little question. I am trying to save a prop I created, but something is going wrong. I save as prop asset, I load them back in the scene and it seems good, but then when I reboot Daz and try to load the props I get grey boxes instead. I think this is a known issue, but I fail to find anything on this atm...

It seems it is looking for this which does not exist anymore:

],

"scene" : {

"nodes" : [

{

"id" : "Prop: Nose chain (1)",

"url" : "/data/%21TheCediz/Nose%20Chain/Chain/Prop%3A%20Nose%20chain%20%281%29.dsf#Prop%3A%20Nose%20chain%20%281%29",

"name" : "Prop: Nose chain (1)",

"label" : "Chain",

"parent" : "name://@selection/rNostril:",

Post edited by TheCediz on

Comments

• I suspect it's the colon in the file name, since that is not a valid filename character (I'm surrpised DS doesn't reject it).

• TheCedizTheCediz Posts: 172
    edited August 2023

I was mistaken in my first msg. When I "Save as prop asset" then load the prop right away, it gives me the grey box also and not only if I happen to close Daz.

My prop is composed of 3 objects (then it is 3 props in fact) : a nose ring, an earring and a chain. Only the chain part is giving me the grey box. At first I parented the nose ring to the nostril and then parented the earring and the chain to the nose ring. I'd like to merge all 3 into one figure or something but I don't know how to do this. Therefore I opted to save all 3 as separate parented objects. 

How can I remove this invalid line or modify the chain to fix this?

Post edited by TheCediz on
  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285
    edited August 2023

This might be a little more complicated than you hoped but there is a quick and easy fix. Save your props as a scene subset rather than a prop/figure asset. File -> Save As -> Scene Subset. Make sure you only select your props and not any environment or tone mapping nodes, figures, etc.

To group them all together as one prop you'll have to assign them to a group and then export the group as an .obj, import it back in, assign the materials, and *then* save it as a prop asset. If you want to retain rotation and movement of the original pieces (I suspect you would) you will have to rig it from scratch because this process wil create a static prop.

I like elegant solutions but quite honestly I'd go for the cheap and easy way on this one!

Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • TheCedizTheCediz Posts: 172

Thank you for your answer. That a good idea to go around it.

I actually managed to do what I wanted in the end. I asked Jay (WP Guru) on his Discord and he pointed me to one of his video that did the trick perfectly. The issue was that I was "saving as prop asset" an imported obj so the gerometry was embedded in the scene. I had to create a real content path before saving the prop.
    In the mean time I also reexported the chain and the rings as one sole obj, so as of now the chain is an unrigged solid thingy, but that'll do for now.

Video link that helped me: