Will this Daz Studio function work in Carrara 8.5?

Hi, I just want to make sure before I buy:

Would a DS utility such as "Fit Control for Genesis and Genesis 2 Male(s)" work through Carrara's smart content?

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

I don't have that product but checking it out it looks like it uses scripts so I'd imagine only good for DS 

but I could be wrong cool

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited August 2023

It works, in the sense that you use it in Studio to add the morphs to the clothing, then you save that clothing that you've altered to add the new morphs as its own new figure, then you open that clothing up in Carrara and it has all the morphs you added as part of the clothing.

I have both the male and the female fit control products, I don't use Genesis2 but Genesis1 only, but I don't think that would make any difference.  I don't use this product as much as I thought I would, but when it's really needed, it's invaluable.  Keep in mind all the added morphs will add 'weight' to your clothing figure, meaning increased file size and loading time.  It's not gigantic, but most clothes don't really need it (some clothing products come with their own fit morphs anyway, after all).  Originally I envisioned just going through my entire catalog of clothing and remaking them all into a new version including these morphs, but really you only need those morphs in special situations, so instead I use it when needed.

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • cobuspcobusp Posts: 302

Jonstark said:

It works, in the sense that you use it in Studio to add the morphs to the clothing, then you save that clothing that you've altered to add the new morphs as its own new figure, then you open that clothing up in Carrara and it has all the morphs you added as part of the clothing.

I have both the male and the female fit control products, I don't use Genesis2 but Genesis1 only, but I don't think that would make any difference.  I don't use this product as much as I thought I would, but when it's really needed, it's invaluable.  Keep in mind all the added morphs will add 'weight' to your clothing figure, meaning increased file size and loading time.  It's not gigantic, but most clothes don't really need it (some clothing products come with their own fit morphs anyway, after all).  Originally I envisioned just going through my entire catalog of clothing and remaking them all into a new version including these morphs, but really you only need those morphs in special situations, so instead I use it when needed.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,233

Fit Control ROCKS!!!

When I first got it, I thought it didn't work in Carrara and was going to return it - but forgot to.

Like JonStark says, just load it onto your clothing in Studio. It's simple and it adds a bazillion helpful dials of Amazing shaping and fitting controls.

If you know what you want, you can dial those up or down and then use Fit Control to remove unused morphs before saving.

A tip about Saving in Studio:

Rather than saving a whole new figure, save it as a wearable. That way you're not saving everything all over again, just a version of the original that you want to save. To do that, select the figure the clothing is fit to, then File > Save As > Wearable Preset. Put it in your library where you want it. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,871

while I don't have it, like anything you could also use Alberto's morph remover to unbloat Carrara files of morphs you didn't use afterwards 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

while I don't have it, like anything you could also use Alberto's morph remover to unbloat Carrara files of morphs you didn't use afterwards 

That ends up confusing though. Alberto's script leaves the dials behind. They just don't work. 

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Dartanbeck said:

Fit Control ROCKS!!!

When I first got it, I thought it didn't work in Carrara and was going to return it - but forgot to.

Like JonStark says, just load it onto your clothing in Studio. It's simple and it adds a bazillion helpful dials of Amazing shaping and fitting controls.

If you know what you want, you can dial those up or down and then use Fit Control to remove unused morphs before saving.

A tip about Saving in Studio:

Rather than saving a whole new figure, save it as a wearable. That way you're not saving everything all over again, just a version of the original that you want to save. To do that, select the figure the clothing is fit to, then File > Save As > Wearable Preset. Put it in your library where you want it. 

Thanks Dart, I never knew what the difference was for 'wearable'.  Gonna file that away as useful info for filesize savings. 

...and not just for file size, wearables can be a completely edited item and any combination of... anything that is fit to or parented to the selected figure - without doing anyhting to the orignal files, which is nice.

Turns out that saving some content in a completely different location but using the same name can overwrite the original - so when you open the original again, you actually end up getting the edited one you saved elsewhere. I don't recall exactly what all I destroyed this way, but that hair I like so much was one of them! :|   Fixed it by uninstalling, then obliterating my custom saves, and installing it again... whew! Glad I got all the ickies out!!! :)