Lighting An Underground Scene (Secret Underground Base and Submarine)

I know that at times lighting an indoor scene will try your patience, and particularly difficult scenes when correctly lit are a testament to one's ingenuity and stick-to-itness. But I have to ask, has anyone used this product bought at the DAZ store, "Secret Underground Base and Submarine?" 

It looked cool and addressed my need for a storyline. I knew when purchasing it and setting it up that being underground it would be a HUGE challenge in lighting it. But lighting it is impossible. I am reaching out to anyone, in particularly those who have successfully lit this thing.

I have used prims, I have made objects in it as a light source, I have added spotlights, I have adjusted the lumens, intensity, and various other settings in the lights in various combinations. The lights when adjusted bright enough produced a lot of noise. So much noise that even a 2-hour render could not reduce the noise, and pulling into Photoshop did not help.

I have gone into the environment and set to scene only, in fact, I have tried all, ALLLLLLLLLLLLL, of the environment and dome settings I have gone into tone mapping and adjusted exposure, shutter, F-stop, and film iSO and all that did was wash out the characters in the scene.

As far as I can see, there are no walls or ceilings to hide or open up. I have spent 32 hours, 4 days trying to light this scene. I feel like this is a bust and I have been cheated and I cannot find a suitable alternative to this scene. ANY HELP in lighting this will be greatly appreciated.

Post edited by ascendentmotives_d85518443e on

Comments

• I checked out your scene but I did that and the amount of noise is unreal. As I said, Photoshop cannot get rid of it.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588

There is an object in the scene called 'Haze'. Turn that off or just delete it.

If you still want some haze, it's better to use a more modern method to achieve it.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012
    edited August 2023

The product was released in 2017 and uses invisible mesh lights, which Nvidia changed in DS 4.20+

I loaded the scene in DS 4.15 and didn't change one thing, pushed render and after 10 minutes (on 3060 12GB) it was done, looking pretty good.

Cutout opacity in Surfaces/Default/Geometry for the invisible meshlights was set to 0,0000001 and Luminance in Surfaces/Default/Emission set to 2000 Kelvin
    To get the same amount of light in DS 4.20+ one needs to set the Luminance up to 20 000 000 000 Kelvin

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • PerttiA said:

The product was released in 2017 and uses invisible mesh lights, which Nvidia changed in DS 4.20+

I loaded the scene in DS 4.15 and didn't change one thing, pushed render and after 10 minutes (on 3060 12GB) it was done, looking pretty good.

Cutout opacity in Surfaces/Default/Geometry for the invisible meshlights was set to 0,0000001 and Luminance in Surfaces/Default/Emission set to 2000 Kelvin
    To get the same amount of light in DS 4.20+ one needs to set the Luminance up to 20 000 000 000 Kelvin

or use the actual, officially supported approach Creating a "Ghost Light" - Daz Studio 4.21.1.26+ - Daz 3D Forums

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,610

Question. Then why the product page shows "compatible with daz studio 4.21" ? I mean if the scene lights only work with 4.16 and below then it should be reported "compatible with daz studio 4.16". How does the product page work, is it the PA or DAZ that has to update it ? This is a serious issue since this way the customer never knows if the product works, though we can always ask for refund if it doesn't.

https://www.daz3d.com/secret-underground-base-and-submarine