Fire

I needed a campfire. I used the fire materials of Clay Hagebusch. I love the material, but not the shape of my fire. My wife meant, "Looks like a stone". And she was right, I used a Bryce stone for the shape ;-) Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

campfire_test.jpg
800 x 800 - 20K

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071

I use the Volume fire from Bryce using a Volume Sphere or Cylinder. Have you tried one of them with the material?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I always use several rocks or stones, squsihed on the x an z axis  and pulled up on the Y

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,296

I use an elongated sphere and often Caly's fire. But David's Volumetric Fire (Contributing Artists) is also good. There are more from David (Pro Materials: Fpac1, Pal_davidbrinnen, Sfx) well worth experimenting with.

• Thanks a lot all of you for your quick answer. 

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

When you find a suitable material, also adjust it (if needed) so that you don't have an obvious cut-off line at the top/edges.  The flame should fade out on top rather than having a hard edge.  Possibly it would be helpful to do a few google image searches of fires for reference photos for comparison. 

If it's hard to get a single material that looks exactly like you want and it's great in some places but has issues in tiny spots, depending on your scene you may be able to cheat and stack a few additional different sized/shaped objects in a line between the original fire and the camera to fix any trouble spots.  Of course that won't work if you need to animate or view it from different angles and shadows can be a problem, but occasionally it's a quick pain-free last second fix similar to postwork but with the advantage of being able to re-render too.

• Thank you Sriesch for your suggestions. Here my fire.

mushroomshapedrocks.jpg
    800 x 700 - 158K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071

Electro-Elvis

That's very good. I like the sparks smiley

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,296

Electro-Elvis - very much improved.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791

Yeah, sparks make it...nice one Elvis

Jay

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Looks good!

• Thanks a lot. BTW I used a combination of Chohole's suggestion and the Pro material as Horo mentioned.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,802

Yep, looks very good!

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,189

A very nice scene Electro-Elvis