G8F Expressions morphs are stored in wrong body node in G8.1F models

It used to be that the G8F and G8.1F facial expression morphs for my G8.1F characters are under the Head node - I simply click the character's head, and the morphs are under 'Pose Controls.' After a computer reformat however, the head node only has G8.1F's expression morphs, and to access G8F's expressions I'll have to click the entire character instead, and then go to Pose Controls. How do I make it like how it was, to relocate G8F's morphs back into G8.1F's head?

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012
    edited August 2023

All the actual/real morphs are for the base character, some morphs are delivered with Alias morphs that can be found in different bodyparts, like the head or hands.
    The Alias morphs are just redirecting the function to the real morphs in the base character, and I would estimate only half of the creators are making them.

I usually delete all but DO Alias morphs, as a lot of them don't work and they increase the total number of morphs for the base character => Increased load times
    The DO Alias morphs I have left there as some [censored] creators are calling them within their morphs instead of calling the real ones.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175

You mean G8.xF's Base Pose and Expressions on the head node or the ones from other expression products ? As for the former, have you ever deactivated "Base Pose Head" and "Expressions" folders in the path "data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D" ?

BTW, I have to say that deleting alias morphs does not significantly decrease figure's loading time, appr. 3 - 4 seconds per 10K alias... But if you really don't like or need them, you can delete them but check the log after figure loading as there might be some formula resolving errors...

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

crosswind said:

BTW, I have to say that deleting alias morphs does not significantly decrease figure's loading time, appr. 3 - 4 seconds per 10K alias... But if you really don't like or need them, you can delete them but check the log after figure loading as there might be some formula resolving errors...

As I said, lots of alias morphs do not function (the only clue in the log is "not able to create such and such") and only some of the creators are making them => Why bother when they can all be found on the character itself.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175

Malfunction of some alias doesn't mean alias mechanism is completely useless or bothering, well such malfunction mostly came from wrong settings. Furthermore it's subject to users' preferences, though I rarely use them.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited August 2023

Alias files are basically a redundant system using code "borrowed" from the Poser Import system.

Badly done alias file can and do have an effect on load times, but it depends on just how much [stuff] DS is having to load.

Load times are down to three things-

The number of DSF files in the Morphs folder, think of it like a truck, the more [stuff] you put in the trailer the heavier it gets and the more effort the truck needs to use to move, that's the sort of effect it has on DS.

The number of Formulas it's having to process, these add to the heavy load DS is already dealing with from the number of DSF files, and as the average character has just under 1600 formulas in it files it can get really heavy very quick.

Last is the number of errors being generated, and not just the ones you see in the log, on a 10-15 minute load they can stretch load time out to an hour.

So cutting down on the amount of [stuff] in the Morphs folder is always advisable.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Bejaymac said:

Alias files are basically a redundant system using code "borrowed" from the Poser Import system.

Poser does have a sinmilar feature (linkParms) for numeric properties, which can be reproduced wheer needed in DS. However the Aliases are not that - they can be used for other proerpty types, and can appear on more than two nodes. They allow properies to appear in mutliple places (e.g. the bend/twist values on both Bend and Twist bones, grasp controls on both hand and root, expressions on Head adn root) in such a way that adjusting one is rflected on all of the others.

Badly done alias file can and do have an effect on load times, but it depends on just how much [stuff] DS is having to load.

Load times are down to three things-

The number of DSF files in the Morphs folder, think of it like a truck, the more [stuff] you put in the trailer the heavier it gets and the more effort the truck needs to use to move, that's the sort of effect it has on DS.

The number of Formulas it's having to process, these add to the heavy load DS is already dealing with from the number of DSF files, and as the average character has just under 1600 formulas in it files it can get really heavy very quick.

Last is the number of errors being generated, and not just the ones you see in the log, on a 10-15 minute load they can stretch load time out to an hour.

So cutting down on the amount of [stuff] in the Morphs folder is always advisable.