HDRI cast no shadows, why?

I bought this Empty car park HDRI yesterday and now trying to use it. All other HDRI's I have used I just load it, setup camera and model, render, done. Never had any trouble.

This one seems to have a lot more options and settings under the diffrent folders but now shadows.

If I turn up ground shadow intensity there is some strange 360 degree shadow as if the light comes from above but it is a sunset or sunrise scene.

I also now see that there are almost no shadows in the promo shots.

Shoud I just return it or is there a way to get shadows from this HDRI?

If I swap to another HDRI background without changinge any setting the shadows return. Same with just remove it, change no settings makes shadows return.

https://www.daz3d.com/im-empty-car-park-16k-hdris

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

I don't have the product.

If it is overcast, you won't get much shadows.

You could add a light to create some shadows, but be aware to not overdo it, as it will look weird if there are limited shadows in the HDRI.

• Even with my own added light there where no shadows. changed nothing but remove the background and shadows return.

Also saw that I had another HDRI from same creator and the same problem and it was also very low quality with random bodyparts from people, arms and foots appearing in the background so made a refund request on them both. 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175

I could only say it's just because of the poor light source setting in HDRI product... if you use UltraHD iray HDRI product series, the shaows are beautifully catched. You may request for refund...

• svagsigge said:

Even with my own added light there where no shadows. changed nothing but remove the background and shadows return.

Did the Environment Mode specify an option including Scene - if it was Dome Only then only the HDR would be used (or SunSky when the map is removed)

Also saw that I had another HDRI from same creator and the same problem and it was also very low quality with random bodyparts from people, arms and foots appearing in the background so made a refund request on them both. 

• I deleted it so can't check settings any longer.

I tried many things, but nothing brought shadows back. Maybe I misunderstod something but in the end it was not for me. I use HDRI backgrounds for the simplicity of just having to load it then render.

With this I could not do that so not wat I was looking for, maybe it is a wonderful product but not for my use.