Mesh Smoothing Question

Hi all,

Quick question about mesh smoothing, I've got a top that I've used mesh smoothing on to cover the breast area and was wondering it I'm able to save a morph of how it looks and apply that to the top so every time I load that top it fits the model already and don't have to use mesh smoothing on the top again.

Comments

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285

Quite honestly the easiest way to do this is simply to save your character and clothing as a scene subset. All of your settings will be applied on reloading in the future. You could save your modified top as a prop asset but I really don't see any benefit to this either.

You could turn your smoothing into a morph, but it would be a morph that would apply to that one character and that one clothing item only in that one pose and that seems like a bit of a waste of time. This morph probably wouldn't work on any other shape or pose. What if you change that pose? Are you going to make JCMs for it? 

You are asking how to shortcut a process which is essentially already a shortcut. You can do it, but I'm struggling to see the point of it.

Perhaps I have missed what you're trying to speed up?

• Rev3DRev3D Posts: 69

TimberWolf said:

Quite honestly the easiest way to do this is simply to save your character and clothing as a scene subset. All of your settings will be applied on reloading in the future. You could save your modified top as a prop asset but I really don't see any benefit to this either.

You could turn your smoothing into a morph, but it would be a morph that would apply to that one character and that one clothing item only in that one pose and that seems like a bit of a waste of time. This morph probably wouldn't work on any other shape or pose. What if you change that pose? Are you going to make JCMs for it? 

You are asking how to shortcut a process which is essentially already a shortcut. You can do it, but I'm struggling to see the point of it.

Perhaps I have missed what you're trying to speed up?

What usually do is use  Marvoulous Designer to change morph of the clothing to fit the character better. 90% of the time this works and works with other poses. But sometimes the items fall apart in Marvoulous Designer they basically become woose in Marvoulous Designer so you don't get any poke through. I probably worded my question wrong. Basically what I want is how the item of clothing looks with the mesh smooth version active but not have the to have the mesh smoothing applied on the top. So I have a top with mesh smoothing on I want to save how that new version of the top looks and apply that without the mesh smoothing.

I don't know if this makes sense at all, probably not I'm just trying to word it the best way I can think to make sense. 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175

If you're working on such a top made with MD and fit it on a Genesis base figure, then you would like to have the smoothed geometry of the top but without Smoothing Modifier on it, that'll make sense and be frequently used as well.
    - You export the top to an obj file with Base resolution
    - Remove Smoothing Modifier from the top and Zero it
    - Go to menu -: Edit - Figure -Geometry - Update Base Geometry: select 2nd option - Update Vertex Positions by using the exported obj file
    - Save your top as a Figure asset ...

crosswind said:

If you're working on such a top made with MD and fit it on a Genesis base figure, then you would like to have the smoothed geometry of the top but without Smoothing Modifier on it, that'll make sense and be frequently used as well.
    - Go to menu -: Edit - Figure -Geometry - Update Base Geometry: select 2nd option - Update Vertex Positions by using the exported obj file

Thank you I'll try this out. I top isn't made in MD or maybe it is I don't know all I do is just use it to refit the top to the character. 

crosswind said:

Tried it and got this message when importing the obj. 

Does the top after removing the smoothing modifier and zeroing have to be fit or unfit to the model?

edited August 2023

As above mentioned - : " You export the top to an obj file with Base resolution", means you should first set Resolution Level of the top to "Base" .

Don't unfit the top... otherwise Smoothing is meaningless as there'll be no collision...

Post edited by crosswind on

crosswind said:

As above mentioned - : " You export the top to an obj file with Base resolution", means you should first set Resolution Level of the top to "Base" .

Don't unfit the top... otherwise Smoothing is meaningless as there'll be no collision...

Yes I set the res level to base and exported it. 

edited August 2023

Is there any sub-node (figure or prop) attached to the top ?  The safe way -: select the top first, use the settings as below when export... Then import obj file back to DS, check the count of Vertices and Faces on Node info. pane... to make sure they're as same as the top figure.

• If you fit a clothing item or simply add the smoothing modifier to it in Daz Studio and export it as is you will get the smoothed version of that item even if you don't reapply smoothing if you re-import it or if you use that geometry as a morph for the clothing. Same principle applies to items modified by a Push Modifier or Dformers. Provided you export the item at base geometry (and don't change the vertex order or the polycount on another 3D Modeller) you won't get a geometry mismatch error. 

Thanks for all the messages helping out, I got it working on the standard a-pose but whenever I place the model into a different pose the clothing clips again. Guessing there's no fix for that and I just need to apply a smoothing mesh to it in the poses?

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Is it pose related also with the base figure?

If so, you should modify the weightmaps.

edited August 2023

What's this top on earth? Is it a product with fixed morphs (FBMs, pJCMs...) provided by the vendor or something else? If it has no fixed morph and the poke-through / deformation come from the joint areas, you have to fix them (pJCMs) as well.

Adding smoothing modifier is straight-forward and commonly-used for sure, or you may bake smoothed morphs etc..., but it depends...