Project EYEray error??

DarkEleganceDarkElegance Posts: 356

I purchased this recently and tonight went to try it.
The first time. I got an error message saying it couldn't load. So I went back to the documentation, re-read it and started over. Fresh figure (gen 8) and made sure the surface of the gen8 was selected and hit the first step. Error message.
So I looked at the error log and saw a familiar error about a syntax error. So, I downloaded it, opened the file and looked for the folder with the SKU number and installed it manually.
closed down DS. Reopened DS, loaded the gen 8 and tried again. Same error message. It's on the FIRST step. Where you are to choose the UV.
So, I thought, maybe, It's something in the install. I uninstalled it again. Reinstalled it through the "smart content" tab. Closed DS, reopen. Tried...same error.

In the troubleshooting log file it reads:

2023-08-06 04:51:33.664 [INFO] :: Begin asset load (merge): /People/Genesis 8 Female/Materials/DimensionTheory/Project EYEray Next Gen/! - Information/DTER2_G8F - ! - Switch To Project EYEray UVs.duf
2023-08-06 04:51:33.665 [INFO] ::     Json Parser (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['
2023-08-06 04:51:33.665 [INFO] :: Error loading asset: E:/MY DAZ/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library/data/cloud/1_46979/people/genesis 8 female/materials/dimensiontheory/project eyeray next gen/! - information/dter2_g8f - ! - switch to project eyeray uvs.duf
2023-08-06 04:51:33.665 [INFO] ::     Operation failed

I have tried repeatedly to manually install the item, install it through the "smart content" and it keeps giving me this error. It will not work at all.
HOW on earth do I fix this?

(BTW all the other content installed in the same manner, seem to be working. All my "smart content" tab items work including the figure I am trying to use this on)

EDIT: Yes, I made sure to use the female set for the gen 8 female. I just tried the male set on mike 8 and it too, didnt work

Post edited by DarkElegance on

Comments

• "Product not fit for purpose: Return." That's my thought, at least. Regards, Richard.
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,173
    edited August 2023

Open that duf file with an Editor to see if there's any syntax error, and submit a support ticket as you wish.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Did you unistall the Connect (Daz Studio) install of the product? If not those files, which appear not to have decrypted correctly, will be used instead of the manual install.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Did you unistall the Connect (Daz Studio) install of the product? If not those files, which appear not to have decrypted correctly, will be used instead of the manual install.

Ok so just now(well past half hour) I went in. "Uninstalled" it via the smart content tab. Closed DS. Opened the SKU folder. Removed anything in it.

I then downloaded the install zip. Manually installed it.
    Tried it.
    Got

2023-08-06 18:19:48.956 [INFO] :: Other import format content directories: 2
    2023-08-06 18:19:48.956 [INFO] :: Begin asset load (merge): /People/Genesis 8 Female/Materials/DimensionTheory/Project EYEray Next Gen/! - Information/DTER2_G8F - ! - Switch To Project EYEray UVs.duf
    2023-08-06 18:19:48.957 [INFO] ::     Json Parser (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['
    2023-08-06 18:19:48.957 [INFO] :: Error loading asset: E:/MY DAZ/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library/data/cloud/1_46979/people/genesis 8 female/materials/dimensiontheory/project eyeray next gen/! - information/dter2_g8f - ! - switch to project eyeray uvs.duf
    2023-08-06 18:19:48.957 [INFO] ::     Operation failed
    2023-08-06 18:19:49.071 [INFO] :: Unlocking viewport redraw...

I then closed DS. Went to the folder. Removed everything again. Open DS.smart content> install
    Tried again. Same thing.

I really would like to use these as the sclera are amazing.
    "Syntax error - expected '{' or '['"  I do not know which to fix or change if I open the .duf folder.

(again, I tried this on a base vicki 8. Not 8.1. Because I thought maybe there was a conflict with a specific character.)

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,868
    edited August 2023

Do NOT use the "Switch to Project Eyeray UVs" preset. I suspect that's what's causing your issues -- there's an error in that preset. I get a similar message, but only from THAT preset, and ignoring that preset doesn't stop the product from working properly. It's only needed if you "have issues with mapping" -- I'm guessing that would only be needed if the other presets fail to set the Project Eyeray UVs, but the other presets -- for sclera, iris, etc -- actually do set the Project Eyeray UV themselves, so that's probably not needed.

Regardless of whether that works or not, I would strongly suggest that you also again remove the version that's in the Daz Connect cloud directory. If the only version of the product you think have currently installed on disk is one that you manually installed, you shouldn't be getting an error message about the cloud directory -- that's not where a manually installed or DIM-installed version normally goes. Or are you manually installing to that directory?

If you're not manually putting the files into the cloud directory, you may need to do a two-step removal process.

1) Remove via Smart Content so Smart Content knows it's not supposed to be there -- since it has files in the cloud directory, as Richard notes, it will use that version first whether you want it to or not.
    2) physically go to E:/MY DAZ/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library/data/cloud/1_46979/ and delete that folder and absolutely everything in that folder. (Also, is that the actual file directory structure on your disk? That has a recursive directory structure  -- /Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library/ is there twice .)
    3) Reinstall either manually or with DIM -- if a manual/DIM install is already present on disk, that will just overwrite the files, which is fine.

If you ARE manually installing to the cloud directory, then ignore those removal instructions.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by vwrangler on

I think it is a better-to-have skill... Pls download a Notepad++ (freeware) and use it to open "People/Genesis 8 Female/Materials/DimensionTheory/Project EYEray Next Gen/! - Information/DTER2_G8F - ! - Switch To Project EYEray UVs.duf" . Then you will know the culprit...

• DarkEleganceDarkElegance Posts: 356
    edited August 2023

vwrangler said:

Do NOT use the "Switch to Project Eyeray UVs" preset. I suspect that's what's causing your issues -- there's an error in that preset. I get a similar message, but only from THAT preset, and ignoring that preset doesn't stop the product from working properly. It's only needed if you "have issues with mapping" -- I'm guessing that would only be needed if the other presets fail to set the Project Eyeray UVs, but the other presets -- for sclera, iris, etc -- actually do set the Project Eyeray UV themselves, so that's probably not needed.

Regardless of whether that works or not, I would strongly suggest that you also again remove the version that's in the Daz Connect cloud directory. If the only version of the product you think have currently installed on disk is one that you manually installed, you shouldn't be getting an error message about the cloud directory -- that's not where a manually installed or DIM-installed version normally goes. Or are you manually installing to that directory?

If you're not manually putting the files into the cloud directory, you may need to do a two-step removal process.

1) Remove via Smart Content so Smart Content knows it's not supposed to be there -- since it has files in the cloud directory, as Richard notes, it will use that version first whether you want it to or not.
    2) physically go to E:/MY DAZ/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library/data/cloud/1_46979/ and delete that folder and absolutely everything in that folder. (Also, is that the actual file directory structure on your disk? That has a recursive directory structure  -- /Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library/ is there twice .)
    3) Reinstall either manually or with DIM -- if a manual/DIM install is already present on disk, that will just overwrite the files, which is fine.

If you ARE manually installing to the cloud directory, then ignore those removal instructions.

Hope this helps.

It does.

Last night when I was trying them. The iris werent changing at all. Not in any way. (I did think this may be due to no background as there is a window instructing to change that if no background is used)
    Just now, I tried something different(it may  not have anything to do with it but...)
    I went through, searched for file names. Removed any and all that went with the package. Reinstalled via smart content.
    when I was searching for a file with a v8 loaded,(Crosswind had said to go in and manual change the code string) I found the DSON file and I clicked it(finger stutter and double clicked it) computer made a sound, but no error message showed in DS. So I tried something different.
    I went applied sclera>then irish>then other setting to get the colour(as they are numbered)
    And...it seemed to work.

But if I try to use the Change UV...nope! error message pops up.

But I THINK I Have gotten them to kind of work. I will try it on the project I was working on.
    Its really frustrating because the sclera look amazing!

ALSO, glad it is not just me!!

Post edited by DarkElegance on
  • crosswind said:

I think it is a better-to-have skill... Pls download a Notepad++ (freeware) and use it to open "People/Genesis 8 Female/Materials/DimensionTheory/Project EYEray Next Gen/! - Information/DTER2_G8F - ! - Switch To Project EYEray UVs.duf" . Then you will know the culprit...

Even as frustrating as it gets, I fully agree with you!

So when I open it with the notepad++ I look for the ""
    Json Parser (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['""

Do I change it to { or change those to [ ?
    (and as I know something as simple as a comma in the wrong place can make a code have kittens. It is '{' or just {  )

• crosswind said:

I downloaded the notepad++ and opened the DUF for the changing of the UV(there is one in the female and male folder)
    But...I somehow dont think, it is suppose to look like this?

• DarkElegance said:

crosswind said:

(and as I know something as simple as a comma in the wrong place can make a code have kittens. It is '{' or just {  )

Just changing characters is unlikely to help. If it is "codish but) readable text then the issue is probably a missing opening brace, but if it is random looking characters it is at least compressed and possibly corrupt.

• Richard Haseltine said:

DarkElegance said:

crosswind said:

Just changing characters is unlikely to help. If it is "codish but) readable text then the issue is probably a missing opening brace, but if it is random looking characters it is at least compressed and possibly corrupt.

There is a reason the only coding I focus on is my website...I enjoy my eyesight and sanity...

But I am willing to learn but I opened the .DUF file and there doesnt seem to be anything there?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,293
    edited August 2023

You mean it is empty, or that it is full of random looking  characters and symbols? How big is the file - if it is literally empty, 0-bytes, then it probably shouldn't be there at all (especially given the notes above)? Actually, looking at the path and name I think it is meant to be there, but only to give a message (and you may find there is a thumbnail image with instructions, and possibly alsoa  tip file which pops up when you hover the mouse over the file). Currently any .duf file doing that should have at least the basic header code, to make sure it doesn't throw this kind of confusing error, but on an older product that may not be the case.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,868
    edited August 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

You mean it is empty, or that it is full of random looking  characters and symbols? How big is the file - if it is literally empty, 0-bytes, then it probably shouldn't be there at all (especially given the notes above)? Actually, looking at the path and name I think it is meant to be there, but only to give a message (and you may find there is a thumbnail image with instructions, and possibly alsoa  tip file which pops up when you hover the mouse over the file). Currently any .duf file doing that should have at least the basic header code, to make sure it doesn't throw this kind of confusing error, but on an older product that may not be the case.

Well, this is weird. The file is both compressed ... and empty. Sort of. I converted it to GZIP and then decompressed it. Compressed file size is 36 bytes.

There's literally text inside the uncompressed DUF file that says // empty file // -- however, there's an info tip image attached to it that clearly states that it's supposed to be a preset that sets the Project Eyeray UV on the eye surfaces. The tip says "Load if you have issues with mapping."

I guess the error message looks the way it does because there are no parentheses or curly brackets whatsoever in the file.

Project Eyeray came along about the end of the first year of G8, I believe. Weird that it's been around six years and nobody stumbled across this issue before.

EDIT: In fact, it looks like someone ran across the error back in 2018. I'm guessing that a ticket was never filed, so it never got fixed. Or else a ticket WAS filed ... and it never got fixed. Unfortunately, @DimensionTheory isn't really active in the forums -- hasn't been here since May -- so we can't really ask directly what's supposed to be happening. It'll have to be through a ticket.

Post edited by vwrangler on

If the duf file is compressed, suggest use DS standard function to uncompress it -> DS menu - Windows - Panes (Tabs) - Batch Converter, Add File(s) and Apply...

So it seems that this file should've been a UV Preset including eyes surfaces' UV Set slot with the UV that DimensionTheory provided, however, they did not save anything with it. Pls submit a ticket. Then go for changing UV set manually as needed or save a "UV Preset" by yourselves.

• vwrangler said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Well, this is weird. The file is both compressed ... and empty. Sort of. I converted it to GZIP and then decompressed it. Compressed file size is 36 bytes.

There's literally text inside the uncompressed DUF file that says // empty file // -- however, there's an info tip image attached to it that clearly states that it's supposed to be a preset that sets the Project Eyeray UV on the eye surfaces. The tip says "Load if you have issues with mapping."

I guess the error message looks the way it does because there are no parentheses or curly brackets whatsoever in the file.

Project Eyeray came along about the end of the first year of G8, I believe. Weird that it's been around six years and nobody stumbled across this issue before.

EDIT: In fact, it looks like someone ran across the error back in 2018. I'm guessing that a ticket was never filed, so it never got fixed. Or else a ticket WAS filed ... and it never got fixed. Unfortunately, @DimensionTheory isn't really active in the forums -- hasn't been here since May -- so we can't really ask directly what's supposed to be happening. It'll have to be through a ticket.

I am so glad it was not a "me" issue.

Ill submit a ticket.

• crosswind said:

If the duf file is compressed, suggest use DS standard function to uncompress it -> DS menu - Windows - Panes (Tabs) - Batch Converter, Add File(s) and Apply...

So it seems that this file should've been a UV Preset including eyes surfaces' UV Set slot with the UV that DimensionTheory provided, however, they did not save anything with it. Pls submit a ticket. Then go for changing UV set manually as needed or save a "UV Preset" by yourselves.

Will do!

• So I DID file a support ticket, they asked for the link to this thread and TO DATE...nothing. Pretty much told they would keep an eye on the thread...but I STILL CANT USE THE PRODUCT PROPERLY.

As it was noted this issue was first brought up in 2018...what gives???

Why no support? Why no fix?

DarkElegance said:

So I DID file a support ticket, they asked for the link to this thread and TO DATE...nothing. Pretty much told they would keep an eye on the thread...but I STILL CANT USE THE PRODUCT PROPERLY.

I just dunno... a routine ? cheeky

• crosswind said:

DarkElegance said:

So I DID file a support ticket, they asked for the link to this thread and TO DATE...nothing. Pretty much told they would keep an eye on the thread...but I STILL CANT USE THE PRODUCT PROPERLY.

I just dunno... a routine ? cheeky

I have no idea why, but this made me laugh.