A simple dark haze plane that won't crash iray?

So, way back when with Mental Ray for Maya I had a trick up my sleeve for creating simple haze by basically creating a few dozen planes closely placed one in front of the other and then making them all very slightly opaque which would add up to creating a haze for distant objects.

I tried doing that technique in iray for the first time tonight aaaaaand it crashed iray. 

So, what's the correct way for accomplishing what I'm after in iray?

Comments

• DiasporaDiaspora Posts: 439

To explain it another way, does there exist maybe something like a shader that I can apply to a simple geometry like a cube and that can kind of create that haze within the confines of the cube?

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Iray supports VDB files, but then you have to find an appropriate file first.

Your idea with planes have been done with several products, so as a concept it should work.

Related to crashing I can only think of if you used tiff files. That has crashed Iray for a period, and not certain it is fixed.

edited August 2023

Apparently what fixed it for me was to make the plane on the opposite end from the camera completely opaque because I think what crashes iray is that it doesn't know how to figure out the little bit of transparency that it's still trying to calculate. The last plane acting as a hard light blocker seems to fix it.

Post edited by Diaspora on

damn, now it inexplicably doesn't work again. I'll look into some of the vdb products and see if that can get me where I need to go.

Ok, seems the issue I am having has nothing to do with the planes, looks like later I'll have to try to provoke this crash again and see if I can spot in the log file what's causing it. 

2023-08-08 03:11:26.321 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - PLUG:PLUGIN ::   0.0   PLUG   plug error: Library C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\avformat-58.dll: symbol "mi_plugin_factory" not found.

I'm getting a lot of weird warni-ng messages like this, why would it not be able to find these dlls?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

Diaspora said:

2023-08-08 03:11:26.321 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - PLUG:PLUGIN ::   0.0   PLUG   plug error: Library C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\avformat-58.dll: symbol "mi_plugin_factory" not found.

I'm getting a lot of weird warni-ng messages like this, why would it not be able to find these dlls?

Everybody has that, it is not a problem. 

Must have been something wrong with my drivers, I updated my 4090 drivers and have done ten batch renders since without this error coming back.