Transparency maps on G8 skin not perfect.

For G8F I made a transparency/opacity/cutout map to hide various body parts and thus minimize poke-through with some clothing.

One map I made was for the torso.

It seemed to work at first. But then I noticed that there was a brightness difference where the torso meets the legs. The legs were brighter. The torso was darker.

On my opacity map, the part of the torso that meets the legs is absolutely 256-256-256 white. So I am at a loss to explain this. Very mysterious.

Anybody know what's going on and how to compensate?

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175

Well, I would have to say there're quite a few ways to avoid or mitigate poke-thru... I don't mean such an Opacity.. way is not doable but it's somewhat cumbersome esp. when you handle "seamless areas"...
    Usually we may - :
    - Add and tweak Smoothing Modifier... (you even can use the smoothed result to update the Base Geometry of the garment that you're making )
    - Hide the geometry where there're poke-thrus... ( or use Set Auto-Hide Faces for Attachment, with Geometry Editor... After you fit your garment to the figure, the poke-thru areas will be automatically hidden.)
    - Use Mesh Grabber to push and drag, and save morph dials as you wish..

These ways would be good and fast.

• ZiconZicon Posts: 263

Applying a cutout map will force the surface to be Thin Walled, disabling sub-surface scattering and other volume effects. The surfaces without cutout will still have volume effects, and thus look different.

Look into alternative ways of dealing with pokethrough: Smoothing, morphs, push modifiers (with a map), Mesh Grabber, dForce.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Thanks for the explanation and suggestions, you two.

Of all those methods, I'm only familiar with morphs, mesh grabber, smoothing, and dForce. The other ones I never heard of.

But my gut tells me the best option is to add dForce to the clothing, which will have the added bonus of simulating gravity better.

edited August 2023

Yeah, first try Smoothing modifer which is pretty straight-forward. dForce is good but in some cases it could not prevent poke-thru either, esp. when you add dForce modifier by yourself.  You still need to smooth the garment sometimes. So some "combo techniques" may be needed, depending on your garments..
    As for auto-hide, pls check Josh's old video devil - https://youtu.be/j7tts91OvoQ

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Add an invisible shell with a sufficient offset and have the garments collide with that!

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792
    edited August 2023
    As for auto-hide, pls check Josh's old video devil - https://youtu.be/j7tts91OvoQ

Thanks, crosswind!

Ya that's the solution I really had in mind.

I had fantasies of releasing my version of the outfit as a freebie, with permission from the original creator; or giving it to the original creator so they could release it.

And so I had fantasized having some kind of auto-hide, or one-click-hide preset.

Since my opacity mapping failed, I was looking into making an ERC that set several body part visibilities to "off".

But the method in Josh's video is much less convoluted and flexible.

Well, I've put that project on hold for now. So I'll test this when I get back on it.

Post edited by lukon100 on

lukon100 said:

Thanks, crosswind!

Ya that's the solution I really had in mind.

I had fantasies of releasing my version of the outfit as a freebie, with permission from the original creator; or giving it to the original creator so they could release it.

And so I had fantasized having some kind of auto-hide, or one-click-hide preset.

Since my opacity mapping failed, I was looking into making an ERC that set several body part visibilities to "off".

But the method in Josh's video is much less convoluted and flexible.

Well, I've put that project on hold for now. So I'll test this when I get back on it.

You're welcome and take your time ~ yes

• Sven Dullah said:

Add an invisible shell with a sufficient offset and have the garments collide with that!

I like this idea, shall have to try it, thanks :-)