Daz Studio bloating in memory after shutdown

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940

...Lately I am seeing Daz 4.8 hang for a long time in memory after the programme's been closed. I have been watching it now in Windows Task Manager and it bloated  from around  1.5 GB to over 2.8 GB even though the programme is no longer is open. After a while it kind of just sits there going up and down in size by a couple hundred MB or so, then finally begins to fully dump from memory, but very, very, very slowly. It finally completed some 20 min after I originally closed the programme.

This began to occur over the last couple months whereas before, even after working on a very "heavy" scene, it would exit from memory much quicker. When this occurs, I have to just let it do whatever it is doing as closing a process prematurely can corrupt files and this is one scene I don't want that to happen to after all the work I put into it..

Hanging in memory for a long time like this was an issue back in the ver. 2.0 - 2.3 days which, as I understand then, was related to a memory leak somewhere in the code. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Comments

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Only a guess, but it sounds like the program is waiting for some external application(s) to shut down, before it can fully be removed from memory. D|S opens quite a number of other external processes, like database drivers. It could be one of those. 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

Doesn't do that on mine. Immediately removed from memory/processes.

Win 7, 64 bit.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940

...didn't do it before until about a month or two ago as well for me. Again it makes me feel I am dealing with some kind of memory leak.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Sudden onset like that, especially when there haven't been any updates to the program in question does sound like it's external to the program.  If it were a memory leak, it should have started showing up in May, not 4 months later.  Now if it is not related to the database (which is also locked since May), the more likely thing to be holding the program open would be something that has been updated...usual candidates would be OS and security software, as both are regularly updated...with drivers being close behind.

Something more detailed than Task Manager may be needed...maybe Process Explorer...

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Or Process Monitor

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

Most programs have memory leaks however most are never found as they usually need a specific set of circumstances to occur to trigger them, sounds like something has changed on your system to trigger one.

I know of a belter in DS4 that most of it's users will never find, only those still using Poser figures will have a chance of encountering it, REM files, the more morph deltas one of these deletes from a figure the more chance you have of triggering it, DS will either crash out right, or within a couple of second will have your cores running flat out and use up all of your RAM (including any Virtual RAM you have), and it will stay like that until you kill the power to the computer.

...not sure what could be the cause unless it was one of the MS security patches I actually did install (I research all MS updates before installing any of them), Haven't updated any new drivers like for printers or the GPU.

I could deal with it were it just a slow constant dump from memory, but bloating in size by nearly 2 GB well after the programme is closed is what I find disconcerting.

kyoto kid said:

...not sure what could be the cause unless it was one of the MS security patches I actually did install (I research all MS updates before installing any of them), Haven't updated any new drivers like for printers or the GPU.

I could deal with it were it just a slow constant dump from memory, but bloating in size by nearly 2 GB well after the programme is closed is what I find disconcerting.

Check and see if it waits until that 'hold' is done to dump the temp files...

The two programs I linked to...Process Explorer and Process Monitor provide more detailed info than Task Manager.  One or both of them should be able to help trace down what is not closing quickly.

..are those WIN 8.1 utilities or available in 7?

Process Explorer...

Runs on:

• Client: Windows XP and higher (Including IA64).

Process Monitor...

Runs on:

• Client: Windows XP SP2 and higher.

So, yeah they'll run on Win7.  

I have older versions, that I know run...but the latest say they should.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,102

I don't know if this is related, but every time I shut down DS 4.8 on my win7 machine, about a minute later the dialog box appears saying, "DAZ Studio has shut down unexpectedly," etc, giving me the option to either shut it down or search the web for a solution and then shut down.  It kinda makes me laugh, because it's not unexpected, I closed the program, yet that box appears every time.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

I often have to wait a bit for the Process in the Task Manager to stop when I have closed DS when using Iray. Haven't used 3DL for ages so I am not sure if it does it for 3DL and this has done this on my PC since the Iray Beta.

..at the outset of the initial inclusion of Iray in Daz Studio, didn't have this occur.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    wwes said:

I don't know if this is related, but every time I shut down DS 4.8 on my win7 machine, about a minute later the dialog box appears saying, "DAZ Studio has shut down unexpectedly," etc, giving me the option to either shut it down or search the web for a solution and then shut down.  It kinda makes me laugh, because it's not unexpected, I closed the program, yet that box appears every time.

This happens to me on all three computers I use. 2 pc's and a laptop.

• hilguhilgu Posts: 37
    kyoto kid said:

...Lately I am seeing Daz 4.8 hang for a long time in memory after the programme's been closed. I have been watching it now in Windows Task Manager ... After a while it kind of just sits there going up and down in size by a couple hundred MB or so, then finally begins to fully dump from memory, but very, very, very slowly. It finally completed some 20 min after I originally closed the programme.

Yeah, it does it on my machine too, DAZ 4.9, Windows 10, powerful machine ... really annoying. It also hogs quite a bit of CPU, while it is at it.  It actually is NOT a recent phenomenon for me at all.  It always seems to have been part of me using DAZ.  Sometimes, it is not (much) of an issue, other times it is really hanging out in my memory for a long, long time after I exited (20 minutes is a low estimate, actually).  It would be nice if the DAZ software engineers gave us some hints as to what is going on: I'd be surprised, if this affects only a few people.  There must be a reasonably obvious and general explanation.  I noticed that DAZ stores quite a bit of temp stuff in some directory, and seems very busy slowly cleaning that up: is that it?  Now ... I can, of course, just "kill it" in Task Manager: does that have any negative consequences?  Certainly did that a few times.  Rebooting the machine, after it finally really closed down, seems to have a beneficial effect, though I am not entirely sure. 

• MinamMinam Posts: 55

I'm intrested in what happens after a crash and Daz3d was running. Does the data or process stay somewhere after the restart? I ask, becuase after a crash, my computer starts ramdonly restarting after it's back on. 

• This happens on my system, when I enable the Octane Plugin in DAZ. After disabling it quits normal.

...don't have any plugins for Daz to other software (Photoshop, Zbrush, LuxRender, Octane).

Related: Looked into the Octane4 subscription track, but it seems you have to work in the cloud which is a no-no for me given the temperamental connection I have..