How do I save a grouped or sub-parented smart prop set in DAZ Studio?

DodgerDodger Posts: 304

Try as I might, I canot figure out how to do this.

If I save any of the items individually as props, I can smart prop them each, but then it's only that object. The user would need to load each -- and in the right order!
If I group the items and save the group, it only saves the group node and not the contents (which seems really jank).
If I save a scene subset, the hierarchy is properly preserved, but instead of a smart-prop, it saves the figure it's parented to WITH, and I can't make it not (option to deselect G8M as a whole is greyed out. Clearly I can't use this option.

If I wasn't new to creating DAZ Studio assets, I would probably look into hacking a file, but I am, so I shan't, because that would just complicate matters.

In this instance, I'm trying to save a helmet (which should be smart-propped to the head). The helmet has variable crests, which are separate props, and each in turn would be parented to the helmet itself.

However, I can see this being common enough in other circumstances: Electronics with cords, blasters with laser bolts, sheaths holding swords or knives or..

Even, *ahem* LIGHTSABERS with a smart-propped blade parented to them.

Yeah, I am having trouble in DAZ Studio trying to do something that I did in Poser 4 in 2001, 22 years ago, as LITERALLY my first released prop ever.
This should not be hard.

Post edited by Dodger on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175

I'm a bit confused... but why not just save a Wearable preset of the selected Smart Props ?

• DodgerDodger Posts: 304

crosswind said:

I'm a bit confused... but why not just save a Wearable preset of the selected Smart Props ?

A what?

edited August 2023

Perhaps I should clarify:

I am quite overwhelmed at the exhaustive documentation found at http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/inline/save_filters/dzwearablesassetfilteraction and simply cannot take in all the massive amounts of information there. It's so well-documented that it's like an entire library of information.

Plus, the absolutely intuitive nature of the phrase immediately fills my head so quickly with context that, alas, it's gone before I can see the meaning. Apparently something can be too clear.

Also I am being really, really sarcastic.

Post edited by Dodger on

Also, after duckduckgoing it further (that doesn't roll off the tongue like "googling" but Google has gone to crap in the last year), I get this:
    https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Clarification-Wearables-Presets-417253297

"The purpose of a Wearables preset in DAZ Studio is to save an entire small wardrobe that is already conformed or parented to Genesis or G2. "

So... that would be "why not", I guess. Because that's the wrong thing and I am not trying to save an entire wardrobe, just a helmet with an attached crest.

Also also, when I try that, it doesn't load parented anymore. On save, the "Smart Parent Target to Wearable" option is greyed out (disabled).

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892

You want to save a wearable preset. Parent the helmet to the head of the figure (personally I would actually make the helmet a figure with rigidity so that it morphs with head shapes but a prop works just as well). Parent the crest props to the helmet. Select the figure, then go to File - save as - wearable preset. Select where you want to save the file, and then make sure that the helmet and all props have tick marks next to them.

Things to keep in mind - make sure that all the props are already saved at least once so that the geo is in the data folder and not embedded in the wearable. Select your figure first before loading the wearable and it will load in place.Don't worry about the smart parent target to wearable.

If you want to get fancy you can make the helmet a conformer with all the crests included in the geo, then use conditional grafts with bool buttons to hide/show the different crests.

The first two times I tried that, it failed to be loading in parented to the head.

I tried it a third time, and it worked. I have zeroooo idea what was set different, because I was trying to set it all the same specific way. So I'm mystified there.

Oh, I definitely do not want it to be morphing with head shapes. Quite the opposite.

It's a very specific helmet. I would show a picture but right now something seems to be wrong because I keep getting 500 server errors uploading attachments. But it can't go changing shape for sure.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited August 2023

You can upload the image to the gallery and just don't publish it and you can then apply that image to the body of the post. It a temp workaround until they do whatever needs done

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited August 2023

ah, nah it's alright, I'll just wait

Post edited by Dodger on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

Dodger said:

ah, nah it's alright, I'll just wait

surprise You could be waiting a long time. Image upload has been broken for over a month already. Sometimes uploading will work for a short time in the evening Daz time. Try then, if you want to.
    Mada is an expert on the kind of thing you are trying to accomplish. Her every word is precious advice. I've learned to listen well.

I'm just taking to copying them up to my Google Drive and sharing them there. There's a way to make that into an embeddable image link.

Since I have the drive mounted, I can just:

cp <image file> /Volumes/GoogleDrive/MyDrive/Renders

And it's up. (Honestly, if I weren't broke I would just set up my SSL certs and just serve it right off this computer, but, alas, it is not so).