How can I replace fitted clothing geometry?

I got a freebie clothing item. It has disconnected seams and some inside-out normals.

It came with some Runtime/Geometries/vendor/product/Clothing-Item.obj files. So I fixed the geometry in Blender.

So now I have these fixed geometry .obj's. But I have no idea how to apply them to the product.

The product is loaded by means of a file in the Presets/Wearables path. That preset file does not call any .obj geometry. That preset file apparently contains its own version of the geometry, as if the file were some kind of "figure/asset/prop" file.

So how do I replace that geometry in the preset file with my new fixed geometry?

While I've made and modified many hard surface models, clothing, and it's rigging, is still a deep mystery to me.

Comments

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892

I have a quick walk through on updating assets in DS - however if the vertex order changed when you connected seams and fixed the geo then it won't work. In that case the best option is to import the obj and use the transfer utility to transfer the rigging from the old item to your fixed item. It will require resaving with a completely new name so you don't over write original in the data folder.

https://pixeldustvr.com/DazTutorials/2021/01/26/fixing-geometry-after-rigging/

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Thanks so much, Mada.

Yes, so now I need to learn how to use the transfer utility. Happen to know any links to any totorials on that?

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285
    edited August 2023

Treat your corrected mesh as a completely new item and forget trying to link it to the original item.

Transfer Utility is very simple to use and the process is essentially loading the base character of the generation you want to rig the clothing for, importing the .obj of your clothing into your scene and then starting the transfer utility which will copy the skeleton across onto your item:

https://youtu.be/VzLCge1hW6U?t=95

You may find that the material region names of the clothing have changed upon import and in this case you'll have to load your original (unfixed) clothing into the scene and manually copy the material(s) onto your new item, if you want to keep them rather than retexture it yourself.

At this point you can add your weight maps if needed, and dForce as required.

Once you're happy with it you can save it out as a new item: File -> Save As -> Support Asset -> Figure/Prop Assets and follow the dialogues from there.

If you're doing this for Genesis 9 it's even easier. Select the base figure in your scene and then in the Parameters Tab click Utilities followed by the Developer Tools button. A window pops up which has a 'create follower' button. Select your imported obj clothing, click that button and you're essentially done!

Post edited by TimberWolf on

If you're using the original item as the donor instead of Genesis, it should copy everything over almost exactly, since the vertices will mostly be in the exact same position.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175
    edited August 2023

It's for Genesis figure? It seems the clothing set was made with Poser and for the figure of old generation, e.g. V4 or sth... if so, a simple conversion may also work... auto-fit plus some necessary fixing.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • If the geometry fixes haven't changed the figures polycount, the Update Base Geometry option could work. Otherwise, the best option is likely using the original figure as a "rig donor" with the Transfer Utility

edited August 2023

Thanks y'all. The methods you suggest here mostly work, except for one glitch.

The new clothing item I saved as a figure/prop/asset has banner label in its icon (where we often see words like "Scene") but it says "Follower ?".

It is clothing for G8F.

When I double click the icon for the clothing item, it loads into the scene, but fails to recognize that it is for the G8F character selected. And so the autofit dialog box appers asking what figure the clothing item was made for. Obviously, since G8F is not listed, the only thing it made sense to select here was "Unsupported".

After fitted by the autofit process, the cloting item behaves perfectly, fitting well through all posing and morphing I tried.

So, anyone know what went wrong?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

I experimented for a fix and it mostly worked.

First, put the clothing item on a G8F using the autofit process as secribed above.

Second, save the clothing item as a figure/prop/asset while it is on the G8F - saving over the old version.

Now the clothing item loads on to G8Fs without calling the autofit dialog box, and everything still works.

Last problem still remaining: the icon still has the "Follower ?" banner label.

Post edited by lukon100 on

crosswind said:

It's for Genesis figure? It seems the clothing set was made with Poser and for the figure of old generation, e.g. V4 or sth... if so, a simple conversion may also work... auto-fit plus some necessary fixing.

Well, the original vendor intended this clothing outfit for G8F. And I am making my fixed version of it also for G8F.

Mada said:

If you're using the original item as the donor instead of Genesis, it should copy everything over almost exactly, since the vertices will mostly be in the exact same position.

Ya. I totally used the vendor's original clothing item as the donor. And that seemed to work - except for the glitch I describe a frew posts above.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175
    edited August 2023

lukon100 said:

The new clothing item I saved as a figure/prop/asset has banner label in its icon (where we often see words like "Scene") but it says "Follower ?".

It is clothing for G8F.

When I double click the icon for the clothing item, it loads into the scene, but fails to recognize that it is for the G8F character selected. And so the autofit dialog box appers asking what figure the clothing item was made for. Obviously, since G8F is not listed, the only thing it made sense to select here was "Unsupported".

After fitted by the autofit process, the cloting item behaves perfectly, fitting well through all posing and morphing I tried.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

First, put the clothing item on a G8F using the autofit process as secribed above.

Second, save the clothing item as a figure/prop/asset while it is on the G8F - saving over the old version.

Now the clothing item loads on to G8Fs without calling the autofit dialog box, and everything still works.

That's good! As for "Follower?", when you save Figure/Prop asset, choose "Preset/Wearables" from the dropdown list of "Set Content Type", or "Follower/Wardrobe/...." but this is the old Content Type... the former is better.

If you frequently use Smart Content, better set a Category in that dialogue box by the way...

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited August 2023

lukon100 said:

Mada said:

Ya. I totally used the vendor's original clothing item as the donor. And that seemed to work - except for the glitch I describe a frew posts above.

To fix that you need to set the clothing item's scene ID. Scene tab dropdown menu, edit : select scene ID, then under preferred base select your base figure.

SceneID.png
    352 x 373 - 29K
    SceneID2.png
    750 x 80 - 8K
    Post edited by Mada on

Mada said:

lukon100 said:

Mada said:

To fix that you need to set the clothing item's scene ID. Scene tab dropdown menu, edit : select scene ID, then under preferred base select your base figure.

Ah. So this is the official correct way to get the clothing item to automatically get fitted on the G8F character when it doesn't. Cool.

crosswind said:

lukon100 said:

It is clothing for G8F.

Update:

That's good! As for "Follower?", when you save Figure/Prop asset, choose "Preset/Wearables" from the dropdown list of "Set Content Type", or "Follower/Wardrobe/...." but this is the old Content Type... the former is better.

If you frequently use Smart Content, better set a Category in that dialogue box by the way...

Thanks for the fix. It worked for me. Now all these clothing items work and look perfectly.