New PC! Help please

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of getting a new deskboard pc and as I use Daz Studio for commercial purposes, I want a pc that can run efficiently the software. My current pc has Rysen 5, 16 GB ram and video card incorporated. I don't know much about pc's and what should I choose in order to get the software running properly and FAST!. I'd love sugestions  :)

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

Need a very good nvidia graphics card more than anything, with lots of VRam and cuda cores. You will need lots more system ram depending on what card you get, 32 gb or more. Daz Studio can run fine on low end systems, it's what you add to the scene that impacts performance

• raque-nbraque-nb Posts: 4

Need a very good nvidia graphics card more than anything, with lots of VRam and cuda cores. You will need lots more system ram depending on what card you get, 32 gb or more. Daz Studio can run fine on low end systems, it's what you add to the scene that impacts performance

Thank you! Could you give me an example of a card that can work fine?
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215
    edited July 2023

I'm sure a lot of people have recommendations, but we can't really help you unless you give us a price range. I mean if your budget is only a few hundred, the 3060 12Gb is best, but on the other end a 4090 or higher would be appropriate.

Post edited by Kitsumo on
  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285
    edited August 2023

Keep your existing system and Ryzen CPU. It's good enough. For GPUs and other upgrades, these are my recommendations. Bear in mind this a personal, albeit professional, opinion and others may have differing viewpoints but, like you, I use Daz Studio commercially and am responsible for hardware purchasing for our office. Prices are in USD so convert as appropriate for your country and taxes. What costs $100 in the USA does not necessarily convert simply via currency converters in other countries due to cost of living, salaries, import taxes etc.

Entry Level:

32GB of system RAM.

RTX 3060 12GB. $300. Cheap and cheerful, will do most scenes with optimisation on your part but not exactly lightning fast. We use a PC with one of these for proof-of-concept renders.

RTX 4070 12GB. $600. Far superior architecture but same VRAM limitations as the 3060. Much quicker. It's cheaper than most RTX 3080s which are slower for rendering.

RTX 4060Ti 16B. $500 - $600. If you can find it, this is the sweetspot. Not as fast as some of the others in the range but still very quick with 16GB of VRAM. 

Pro-Consumer Level:

64GB of system RAM.

RTX 4080 16GB. $1200. Very quick card but you're paying a premium for the performance with not much extra in VRAM compared to the above.

RTX 3090 24GB: Just don't. If you're doing this commercially the power draw and heat generation render this card wholly unsuitable in our experience. We bought one, we tried it, we sold it. For hobbyists it's fine but if you're running this card throughout the day it's only a matter of time before something melts. And it might be the room or building you've put it in! Joking aside, from a commercial point of view this card makes no sense at all due to its power consumption and the fact that it acts like a small furnace.

RTX 4090 24GB. What the RTX 3090 should have been. $1700 - $2000. Very, very quick. Low power and low heat compared to the beast above. Best card available if you don't want to step into the properly expensive world of Nvidia's Quadro/Workstation cards.

Commercial Level:

128GB system RAM.

Two choices here. The older RTX A6000 48GB  Ampere architecture which we use and you can still buy (essentially an RTX 3090 without the heat and power consumption but slower) or the newer Lovelace architecture with the same 48GB (RTX 4090 but slower). They're slower for a reason - less heat, less power draw, longer life. Parts-binned manufacture process, warranties etc. Ours have an immediate despatch on fail warranty (3 years) which means the vendor will overnight new cards for us in the event of a failure even though we haven't sent them the failed unit(s) back. These are in the order of $5000 each.

There are, of course, many other cards in the Nvidia range and you should do your own research so see this post as jumping off point for what you want to do. I've listed the ones I feel are most relevant for commercial or semi-commercial work but this could be out of date next week.

Post edited by TimberWolf on