G8 hair on G9 does not save

I take a G9 (male) and autofit G8M hair. it works and renders ok. But when i save the file and reload it. it is no longer fitting. In fact it's completely messed up.

What to do? thanks.

Comments

• dForce hair (rather than non-dForce hair or dForce cloth used for hair)? If so that is a cosnequence of the way the hair is linked to the geometry (from which it grows) - anything that causes the shape to rebuild will break the fit.

• jkjjkj Posts: 23

Yes it was dforce hair. Is there a way to refit? I tried resetting "fit to", then setting it again, but no change. The only way was to delete the hair and reload it manually, then set back all the adjustments.

It seems mad that something all set and working won't go into the save?

• It is frustrating, but no I am not aware of a way to work around the issue other than doing a fresh load-and-convert each time.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,496
    edited July 2023
    Can I also suggest that you check the clothing too on re-opening a saved file. Seeing this thread made me check a G9 character with G8 clothing, and it was definitely up the creek. Only way to get it working correctly was to re-load the clothing. Not great, or the slightest bit impressive to someone who is already very dubious about G9 and has a fairly long history of zero/none/nada similar problems with G3 clothing on G8. Regards, Richard.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • jkjjkj Posts: 23

So this basically means we cant use G8 hair OR clothes for G9 even when they autofit correctly - because they cannot be saved.

This is obviously a horrible DAZ bug. I hope it can be fixed

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175

The only way for the time being is not to use auto-fit but -: change preferred base + bone mapping + transfer rigging, and plus a base cap fix from G8, then it'll be fine in terms of fitting and saving.

• jkj said:

So this basically means we cant use G8 hair OR clothes for G9 even when they autofit correctly - because they cannot be saved.

This is obviously a horrible DAZ bug. I hope it can be fixed

This is dForce (strand-based) hair specifically - so some hairs, and perhaps some clothes with fur handled by dForce hair, but it doesn't affect most things.

Typically this sort of hair has a root node of a "cap" and a sub-node of a "strand-based" hair... Auto-fit which uses G8 clone to convert it on G9 just cannot well handle it.

• Wouldn't Riversoft Art's dForce2Morph be of some use here? You still won't be able to save the draped hair in a file, but you could drape the hair, export a morph of that drape using Riversoft Art's utility, then delete the hair, reimport a fresh copy of same (but don't run dForce this time), dial in the created morph into the freshly loaded hair, and save that version in your file -- if I'm following all this correctly.

dForce2Morph doesn't work on SBH ~~

• Darn. Good to know, anyway.