Non DForce Hair items Conversion from Genesis 9 to Genesis 8

Hello, everyone,

I know that others like myself have asked whether it's possible to use Genesis 9 Hair products on Genesis 8 and usually the answer is Yes, but you would either not Fit the Hair and instead parent it to Genesis 8 head bone or you would use Autofit and while some hair products like OOT's would retain their 1-click presets that rely on morphs, anything dependent on Posing Bones would cease to work (even if by using the Transfer Utility you could either keep the Posing Bones or transfer them back from the original Hair figure) 

I set out to do my usual tinkering and found out it's possible to convert the hair and keep all it's functionality, by taking a page out of the method to convert Genesis 3 Hairs to Genesis 8 and expanding a bit on it...

The summarized version is By projecting your desired Genesis 8 Clone shape to The intended Genesis 9 Hair, Editing the Preferred Base on the Scene Identification, Renaming the Hair Bones (and face groups) so they match Genesis 8 rig and doing a Transfer Rigging (Figure Space) from Genesis 8 to the Genesis 9 Hair (almost certainly also requiring to Update the Base Geometry in DS at least once) is possible to convert it to Genesis 8

I've posted a longer more detailed description of the process on Renderhub (you can find it by doing a search about converting Genesis 9 hair to Genesis 8 or by going here https://www.renderhub.com/forum/4558/genesis-9-to-genesis-8-hair-conversion )

Cheers :)

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,240

felipe.a.v.lopes said:

Hello, everyone,

I know that others like myself have asked whether it's possible to use Genesis 9 Hair products on Genesis 8 and usually the answer is Yes, but you would either not Fit the Hair and instead parent it to Genesis 8 head bone or you would use Autofit and while some hair products like OOT's would retain their 1-click presets that rely on morphs, anything dependent on Posing Bones would cease to work (even if by using the Transfer Utility you could either keep the Posing Bones or transfer them back from the original Hair figure) 

I set out to do my usual tinkering and found out it's possible to convert the hair and keep all it's functionality, by taking a page out of the method to convert Genesis 3 Hairs to Genesis 8 and expanding a bit on it...

The summarized version is By projecting your desired Genesis 8 Clone shape to The intended Genesis 9 Hair, Editing the Preferred Base on the Scene Identification, Renaming the Hair Bones (and face groups) so they match Genesis 8 rig and doing a Transfer Rigging (Figure Space) from Genesis 8 to the Genesis 9 Hair (almost certainly also requiring to Update the Base Geometry in DS at least once) is possible to convert it to Genesis 8

I've posted a longer more detailed description of the process on Renderhub (you can find it by doing a search about converting Genesis 9 hair to Genesis 8 or by going here https://www.renderhub.com/forum/4558/genesis-9-to-genesis-8-hair-conversion )

Cheers :)

Might sound like a jolly silly question, but why not just tell the hair that it's for G9 in the auto-fit options that appear when trying to fit it to G8? The clones for G9 for all the generations back one can either make oneself or purchase in the Daz3D store.

• felipe.a.v.lopesfelipe.a.v.lopes Posts: 24
    edited July 2023

Catherine3678ab said:

Might sound like a jolly silly question, but why not just tell the hair that it's for G9 in the auto-fit options that appear when trying to fit it to G8? The clones for G9 for all the generations back one can either make oneself or purchase in the Daz3D store.

Because if you Auto-fit the Hair, The Transfer Utility will replace the Hair's original rigging with the one from the Autofitting Templates, basically giving it a duplicate of Genesis 8's rigging and destroying the Hair's "special" Posing bones

Post edited by felipe.a.v.lopes on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

....or just use G9 instead wink

felipe.a.v.lopes said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Because if you Auto-fit the Hair, The Transfer Utility will replace the Hair's original rigging with the one from the Autofitting Templates, basically giving it a duplicate of Genesis 8's rigging and destroying the Hair's "special" Posing bones

I see. That's if it had posing bones to start with. Can't say as I've had any major issues using the autofit methods.

FSMCDesigns said:

yes 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,172

Nice tinker and better have a script of renamer devil

• FSMCDesigns said:

That works too but it requires converting characters to Genesis 9 along with materials so it involves either buying one of the geoshell material suits or having to go through baking all the textures to Genesis 9 UV's so it's way more work than using the hair on Genesis 8, not to mention while using G8 poses on G9 is fairly straightforward with freebie conversion scripts, Expressions on the other hand don't work at all so your suggestion actually only works when the intention is in fact using Genesis 9 (which I do when I absolutely want to but when I don't want to use Victoria 9 or any other G9 character and just want to use a certain hair I prefer converting the hair than the character)

• Catherine3678ab said:

felipe.a.v.lopes said:

Catherine3678ab said:

I see. That's if it had posing bones to start with. Can't say as I've had any major issues using the autofit methods.

If it's a longer hair or a Pontytail style hair the chances of it having posing bones are greater. If you autofit a hair like OOT Long Unisex Hair for Genesis 9 to Genesis 8, you might think everything on the Hair is working until you go into the movement morphs section in the Shaping Tab and try to use those dials. The advantage of converting is the functionality remains intact

• I've used this tutorial on a few hair styles with success but where I run into some problems is when the style doesn't fit the dialed in clone on G9. I was wondering at what point should I try to adjust it to fit? My atempts result in any morph loaded onto the G8 character deforming the hair.