All my geoshell qs - drapping over texture, masks, tiling

Hi

I'm trying to create a scar pattern using a Geoshell over Gensis 9. Getting some ok results, but thought I’d see if there’s any straightforward answers to my questions below, before I try the harder ways I imagine are required

1- how do I deal with the seams around the shoulder and neck? It does not seem to be as simple as picking a seamless texture

2- how do I deal with the poke through of the scars? I’ve tried adding the dress to both the figure and the geoshell, and there’s no where to adjust the displacement height on the dress I can see

3 – Is there an easy way to mask out parts of a one surface on the geoshell? For example, I would like to bring up the scars to cover one side of her face, and the only way I can think to do it is to add a mask using the layered image editor to all the places I’ve added the texture jpg. (As I’ve already used the cutout opacity)

Any advice or links to tutorials or other posts appreciated.

Reference products:

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-dalila-dress-for-genesis-8-and-81-females-and-genesis-9

https://unsplash.com/photos/inUID_-1lCU

The figure is a mixed Gen9 with some HD dials applied.

Settings applied to Geoshell

odette1.jpg
2000 x 1333 - 1M
Capture.JPG
593 x 1195 - 113K

Comments

• 1. A seamless texture means that the edges of the image match up, left to right and top to bottom. However, the seam locations on human textures are in the middle of the image, so that is very unlikely to match up on any image not especially made for the purpose. Trial and error using the template or a 3D painting application would be the only real otpions, though since you are using a shell you could remap it to reduce or avoid seams (but then you would probably need very big maps and/or get distortions).

2. Try a Push Modifier on the clothing. You can add weight to that, via a Push Modifier Weight Node, and then paint in only the areas you need.

3. Yes, a black and white mask image - which again has to follow the UV template.

• sidsid Posts: 432

Thank you, Richard. I'll go look in to those options and report back

• If I may, you could try creating a geoshell out of the clothing item itself then adjust the offset to deal with the pokethrough.

I don't have any of the Fit Control Products but for a long time whenever I'm dealing with clothing pokethrough that can't be easily dealt with via smoothing modifier I try either creating a geoshell of the Figure and setting that as the collision object for the clothing item or creating a geoshell of the clothing item itself (sometimes I might do both)

Cheers

• sidsid Posts: 432

felipe.a.v.lopes said:

If I may, you could try creating a geoshell out of the clothing item itself then adjust the offset to deal with the pokethrough.

I don't have any of the Fit Control Products but for a long time whenever I'm dealing with clothing pokethrough that can't be easily dealt with via smoothing modifier I try either creating a geoshell of the Figure and setting that as the collision object for the clothing item or creating a geoshell of the clothing item itself (sometimes I might do both)

Cheers

Oh, I so wanted that to work. I tried both ways and still couldn't avoid the poke thru (could be a me problem rather than a Daz problem, or something to do with the way I've st the scar texture up)

The push modifer works! A tiny bit fiddly and I'll have to wait until I finalise the scar texture, but I can see it will be a really powerful tool.

• I usually avoid using the push modifier because I have a harder time "keeping it under wraps" vs something like dformers, for example, specially if using the default sphere to control the influence vs having it controlled by a weight map. I find that (for my use case at least) the push modifier tends to require a level that's too high not to bloat the geometry too much and restrain the area of influence might make some tid bits move out of place too much