Problem with the Flashlights Set

wildbillnashwildbillnash Posts: 754

Okay, I bought this set last year and, like usual. it didn't come with instructions on how to turn the beam on. Anyone know how to do that? The set in question is at Flashlights Set | Daz 3D .

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Moved to Techncial help as it is not a Daz Studio application question.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

I don't have it but the description says:

• Material Light Options: (.DUF)
      • Light Off
      • Light On, Realistic Intensity
      • Light On, Amplified Intensity
      • Light On, Highly Amplified Intensity

So you should find it as material settings.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,764

In the materials category there are materials to switch on the light and also tweak the light profile (for the torches). However, by default the lights are set very low - I believe this is due to how iray has changed the way lighting is configured since 2017 when that product was released. If you go into the surfaces tab with the prop selected you can up the brightness within the Light/Emissive/Luminance settings.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,436

Do you not see sub-folder "2 - Lights"? Pick one. Hover over the thumbnails for some additional info about which exposure settings to use. You can select an ies profile, too. You will only see the light in Iray preview or renders.

• wildbillnashwildbillnash Posts: 754

felis, I've tried and got no results. I played around with several ways but no results.

NorthOf45, nope. Don't see ut. Where is it supposed to be?

SofaCitizen, that's the ticket. Thanks for the info. Any ideas on how to make the beam visible?

How did you install, and where are you looking? Content Library, Smart Content...?

Note: The beam will only be visible with some sort of atmosphere to scatter it around.

wildbillnash said:

SofaCitizen, that's the ticket. Thanks for the info. Any ideas on how to make the beam visible?

Like NorthOf45 said, you'd need something to scatter/catch the light to actually see the beam.

The second one is only about 30% rendered but shows the difference between a plain scene and adding a hazy VDB over the area.

NorthOf45, I installed it from Smart Content.

SofaCitizen, what is 'hazy VDB'?

Well, maybe that isn't quite the right terminology but you need to cover the scene with a cube that contains "stuff" inside in order to make the light rays become visible. In the example I used the cube with one of the hazy material options from Oso VDB Magus Effects Volume 2. You could also use Epic Props: Godrays & Volumetric Light for Iray which is probably more specifically designed for that.

Any volume with non-zero SSS will do. Getting appropriate values from scratch can be complicated, but there are now some products that will supply an appropriate atmosphere. There are many discussions about it. Search the forums for volumetrics, you should find something of interest.

If using Smart Content, with a flashlight loaded and selected, any compatible items should be displayed (with Filter by Context selected). There might be a lot of matches, but the items of interest for the flashlights should show under "Default - Materials - Iray - Props"

I think I have one that includes a fog. I'll have to check that one out. Not sure what the SSS is, though. But that's for another time. I'll check out the flashlight options. Thanks for the tips and help/

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

UberVolume Dust with a primitive.