Simple External Path for Downloading with DIM

Sorry, I either get the text "just blah blah" without the actually format, or some some of long involved discussion about directories and techinical stuff on line searches. 

I just want to write the file path for DIM to download to/install products to the external drive, which I call E:

So what else is needed to make the path correct? \\ and then...?

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,436

Use the Advanced Settings in DIM.

Downloads -> Package Archive: Click the ellipsis at the far right to choose a path from a drive on your machine.

Installation -> Content Path Shortcuts: Click the drop-down list and select one. Of course, you need to have some shortcuts defined first. Go to the list immediately beneath and right-click to "Add Content Path Shortcut..."  or click the "+" sign in the bottom left corner. Give it friendly name and choose a path from your machine. You can make a new folder at the same time.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690

NorthOf45 said:

Use the Advanced Settings in DIM.

Downloads -> Package Archive: Click the ellipsis at the far right to choose a path from a drive on your machine.

Installation -> Content Path Shortcuts: Click the drop-down list and select one. Of course, you need to have some shortcuts defined first. Go to the list immediately beneath and right-click to "Add Content Path Shortcut..."  or click the "+" sign in the bottom left corner. Give it friendly name and choose a path from your machine. You can make a new folder at the same time.

Yes, thank you for taking time to answer. However, I know how to add a path, but what is the path format? The only path is the default to the C drive. 

I have E:\\ but I dont' know what to type in next, so I can add to DIM additional path choices. E: \\...............Do I leave it blank after the slashes, or make a folder? I really don't know.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

You should make a folder, as you want a dedicated area for that.

I have a folder "Daz" with a subfolder for my Daz library. Then I can use my Daz folder for other libraries as well as render etc.

• Why do you need the format? You can just select the folder you want to use using the folder selection dialogue..

edited July 2023

Sorry, I don't know the correct terminology for what I need. The external drive is new, and called by the letter 'E"

There is no path to choose as I don't know how to write it (but if I did, I know how to add to the DIM) There are no folders. Drive is formatted and "on" and empty

Here's the DIM path to install on my harddrive, C in the structure I need to make a path for DIM to my external drive.

C:/Users/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library  (I copied it from the DIM window)

Obviously, this will not work on the E drive. So how do I type the path for the E drive? E:/ and what? Make a new folder? As in E:/MyDAZLibraryExternal? Is that sufficient? 

This path "construction" is not only crucial for the download, it is crucial for DAZ 3D to find the product, to use.

Post edited by IceScribe on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited July 2023

Do the steps that @NorthOf45 suggested, select the navigation button to the right of the field, and browse to the new location you want the new directory to be. You can select any drive you want.

Post edited by frank0314 on

Select the drive in the folder selection dialog, but before you "Select Folder", there should be a button in the toolbar to create a "New Folder". This will create a new folder, called, well, "New Folder", with the name in edit mode, which you can immediately rename. Add more layers if you wish, then select the final destination, then click "Select Folder". This new folder will now appear in the list of Content Path Shortcuts to choose from.

• To create a new folder right-click on the empty drive and select New>Folder, the name doesn't matter. Repeat until you have as many nested fodlers as you need, then yiou can select them in DIM.

• If the following is known to you, read on, I don't know your level of knowledge
    I should add that all this is on a PC, I know zero about MAC.

On your E: drive (or your prefered drive), create a folder, example DAZ or Downloads or...
    Then open DIM (DAZ Install Manager), click the gear in the upper right corner See Picture 1
    Then click the Downloads Tab. The first area will be the default location for Downloads,
    Click the the ellipsis at the end. See picture 2
    This will open file manager, on the left, scroll down and click on the drive you plan to use.
    On the right, scroll down to the Folder you plan to use.
    Click on the button in the bottom right, Select Folder.

Something i just thought of. Do I make a new directory for the external drive in Content Management? I can download to my external drive, but the downloads are incomplete.

Any method that creates a folder, whether in Windows' explorer, or a folder select dialog from any utility that uses one, which could be just about any application. It doesn't matter. As long as it exists and you have designated it as the download destination in DIM (Package Archive). The incomplete downloads are another problem, nothing to do with how you created the folder.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

If you are moving or putting content in a different location then yes you need to add that location in Daz so it will recognize it.

frank0314 said:

If you are moving or putting content in a different location then yes you need to add that location in Daz so it will recognize it.

Thank you to all the posters who offed advice. Ok, after searching for the answer I needed, I have found it. Oddly, on a page from DAZ User Guide, which did not appear in search results, but...frank0314 confirmed it was the Content Directory that tells DAZ where the stuff was installed,   I was able to pull up the answer to my original question, how to write the path...Here's a snip from the page Content Directory Manager to help others who need help with this

quote "

Configuration tells DAZ Studio where to look for the content. You can potentially configure Studio to look at a dozen different places. However, for new users, we recommend keeping the configuration as simple as possible.

The key idea is that the install path and the configuration paths should match up exactly. So, if your content install path is C:\users\[your user account]\My Documents\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio3\content,

then your configuration path in preferences –> Directories in Studio will also be exactly the same, that is,

C:\users\[your user account]\My Documents\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio3\content. It's that simple. <<<<<<<<!!!!! (this is what I was looking for! Not in the DIM, but In Preferences DAZ!

Here's how to configure the paths for content in the Content Directory Manager.

On the PC, in DAZ Studio, go to EDIT –> Preferences –> Content Library –> Content Directory Manager.

On the Mac, Go to DAZStudio –> Preferences –> Content Library –> Content Directory Manager.

You can also open Content Directory Manager on both the Mac and the PC by going to the Content Library Tab (VIEW –> Tabs –> Content Library). Click on the 'Active Tab Options' button in the upper left to open the menu. In the menu, click Content Directory Manger. " end quote