Daz3d gets frozen/stuck when I use the posing controls

CliffborneCliffborne Posts: 118

Hi, I am puzzled by the behaviour of my Daz3d Studio. I have created a scene that uses the Gothic Style Room as environment G Female Gothic Style Room | Daz 3D and loaded two Genesis 8 figures with all the bells and whistles (Face Transfer faces, hair, clothes with textures, etc). Whenever I try to change the pose of any of the characters thrugh the control bars of the posing, the software gets stuck for SEVERAL seconds (up to one minute or more) and I cannot see any changes in the position of the anatomical part in real time.

The software seems to work just fine when I navigate the scene, even in Filament and Iray preview, with very fluid scrolling. However, as soon as I try to use the posing controllers to change any position or expression, the software gets stuck for ages....so I am a sitting duck at the moment, the software is completely crippled.

System specifications: Intel Core i9 12900 KF, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 4090 with 24 GB of VRAM, 2 TB SSD, Windows 11. Nvidia drivers version 536.40 (Geforce Game Ready).

I have read that sometimes this can be due to a plugin that is misbehaving (I have installed Face Transfer and Measure Metrics). I am also using an Aux Viewport. I have also read that sometimes you need to "authorize" Daz3d in your Nvidia software, but I am not sure about how I could do that.

Any ideas please? thanks a lot for your help!!!

Gio

Post edited by Cliffborne on

Comments

• Figures typically have a lot of modifiers, some of which are tied toi others - e.g. morphs that adjust the shape when a bone is bent and a shape is applied. When the pose is chnaged DS has to run through those looking to see if any updates are required, with a figure with a lot of morphs that can take a while. Moving around the scene doesn't trigger the same behaviour.

• CliffborneCliffborne Posts: 118

Thanks for the reply. However, this doesn't happen with other scenes. Also, I wonder whether I need to install a new version of Daz Studio? I currently have version 4.21.0.5. Where could I find the latest version of DazStudio please? Thanks!

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

Have you checked what SubD are the characters using?

• 4.21.0.5 is the latest, as far as General Release goes - the Public Build (Beta) is more recent.

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to disable the large majority of morphs through the Turbo Loader utilities and uninstalled a few plugins too, including Texture Atlas. However, the issue seems to persist and the posing never happens in real time in my scene. To the contrary, any change in the posing bars brings the software to a complete freeze for several seconds/one minute or more, and then I see the anatomical part in the new position. What am I doing wrong? Any advice please?

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285

This a bit of an outlier solution but the problem might be with Windows rather than Studio. Both Win 10 and 11 have the 100% CPU issue which can turn otherwise perfectly good software into an absolute nightmare to use. Try hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL (I'm assuming you're using Windows) and then starting the task manager. Minimise it.  This fires the Windows interrupts and enables other software to use the CPU without the slowdowns that can appear. You will quite often see the CPU useage at 100% when the window first pops up and it will then drop down to reasonable values.

I have this issue with Lightroom, Photoshop and Studio on my personal PC and simply enabling the Task Manager negates it. I don't have this problem with my commercial rendering machine which is not connected online and running an early stable version of Win 10.

This may not be your issue but it's worth a shot.

Thanks Timberwolf. This is not my issue but I will definitely use this trick of the trade to prevent future problems. I have now realised that the lag during posing only occurs with one of the two figures, while the other one works perfectly well. Hence, I will start disabling all the collisions/smoothing on that figure and/or remove the hair and/or remove individual pieces of clothing until I find the culprit. I will keep you posted :)

Got it!!!! It was a dForce hair. As soon as disabled it, everything came back to normal!!! The collisions/smoothing did not actually make much difference, BUT one specific piece of clothing did (dForce ribbons skirt).

My conclusion is that the dForce items WRECK DazStudio. Completely. Is there any workaround, rather than disabling them, or avoiding them like the plague? :)

This was good experience anyway, thank you everyone!!!! I hope that my misadventure can be helpful for somebody else!!!

Gio

More specifically, is there a way to "see" the dForce items but tell the software to "ignore" them during the posing? That would be really helpful!!!