Need to Solve a dForce Problem

mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515

I have a dForce outfit for G8M that, from the promo images, looks like it has all sorts of capability. There's a button-down dress shirt, and it's shown unbuttoned, wide-open and carefree in many of the product images. But there are no morphs for "shirt open" or anything like that, and when I simulate, not only does it not open, but the lower half of the shirt remains shirk-wrapped to G8M's waist as if tucked into pants, with pre-sculpted folds and cloth bunching like you would expect if pinned down by pants and a belt. The upper part of the shirt does "settle in" during simulation, but the lower half doesn't move at all. I've contacted the vendor but no answer yet and I don't have much time to make this work. I asusmed this kind of thing was done with a weight map I'd be able to find under "Simulation" in the Surfaces tab, but I don't see anything like that in there. Any idea how I might free up this dForce shirt so that it hangs naturally and actually simulates freely?

Update: It has a "dForce Modifier Weight Node", but nothing I do to that seems to make a difference (turning it off, making it not visible in simulation or deleting it altogether)

Post edited by mikethe3dguy on

Comments

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

It would be helpful to know the shirt your refering to.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,176

The sim. result come from Simulation Settings, parameters on Dynamic surfaces, and of course dForce Modifier Weight Node (with painted weight) as well... but mostly case by case, you better name the product... otherwise it's not easy for us to judge the culprit but guessing...

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515

Daventaki said:

It would be helpful to know the shirt your refering to.

I've avoided saying because it's a product from that "other " website.

crosswind said:

The sim. result come from Simulation Settings, parameters on Dynamic surfaces, and of course dForce Modifier Weight Node (with painted weight) as well... but mostly case by case, you better name the product... otherwise it's not easy for us to judge the culprit but guessing...

As I mentioned a moment ago I'm not sure I can since it's not a Daz store product. I'm having some luck so far by painting over the weight map, but still not satisfactory.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Instead of painting over the weightmap you can remove the dForce modifier and reapply it. Then all the clothing will have default dForce settings.

Just name it with no link.. shoud be fine.

edited July 2023

crosswind said:

Just name it with no link.. shoud be fine.

It's dForce FB Mens Clothing by faintblue. Bottom half now simulates just fine, but still can't get the shirt to come apart in front where it's buttoned, though the top 2 buttons seem to have come undone. Don't really want to eliminate this weight map entirely because the collar goes crazy when I do.

I don't have that shirt.

My assumption would be that it was held together with dForce Add-ons, but then I would have assumed that there would be different presets (for the different stages of open/closed), but looking at the product page, it isn't mentioned.

If you look in the scene tab, can you then see any dForce Add-ons?

If the collar has its own surface, you can set simulation strength to 0 for that, and then it will act conforming.

edited July 2023

Unfortunately I don't have it either.

From other items of faintblue, I didn't see any dForce add-on so I presume there is no add-on on this one either...but they really prefer to making morphs based on various poses. So first check if there's a morph suitable for your figure's pose. (I see at least 20 morphs for 20 poses...from ReadMe)

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited July 2023

crosswind said:

From other items of faintblue, I didn't see any dForce add-on so I presume there is no add-on on this one either...but they really prefer to making morphs based on various poses. So first check if there's a morph suitable for your figure's pose. (I see at least 20 morphs for 20 poses...from ReadMe)

Ohhh, I see. Thanks! Never seen pose files for figures that pose the clothing too. That seems really strange and limiting. Damn, not sure I can use that for what I need. Though I suppose I can try starting with a pose where the shirt is open, re-painting areas of the weight map, then transitioning to the pose I want my character to assume in a dForce sim. Though buttons might behave badly. Lotta work for what's going to be 3-4 poses.

You don't happen to know of a dForce men's dress shirt that can open and just simulate normally, do you? I think there might be some for G8F, though I might be able to use them. Haven't found one for G8M.

• felis said:

Instead of painting over the weightmap you can remove the dForce modifier and reapply it. Then all the clothing will have default dForce settings.

The weight nodes were originally called weight access nodes, because that is what they are - they give access to the weight maps that belong to the dForce modifier (since it is not otherwise selectable) but their removal does not clear or remove the maps, and adding a new node gives access to the maps as they were after the last round of edits.

Richard Haseltine said:

felis said:

The weight nodes were originally called weight access nodes, because that is what they are - they give access to the weight maps that belong to the dForce modifier (since it is not otherwise selectable) but their removal does not clear or remove the maps, and adding a new node gives access to the maps as they were after the last round of edits.

Thanks for clarifying that. That's certainly how it behaved when I followed that advice: delete the dForce Mod Weight Node, create another one... and the original weight map is still there.

mikethe3dguy said:

crosswind said:

Ohhh, I see. Thanks! Never seen pose files for figures that pose the clothing too. That seems really strange and limiting. Damn, not sure I can use that for what I need. Though I suppose I can try starting with a pose where the shirt is open, re-painting areas of the weight map, then transitioning to the pose I want my character to assume in a dForce sim. Though buttons might behave badly. Lotta work for what's going to be 3-4 poses.

You don't happen to know of a dForce men's dress shirt that can open and just simulate normally, do you? I think there might be some for G8F, though I might be able to use them. Haven't found one for G8M.

Nah... tbh, I rarely see men's dForce Shirt with both good open/close morphs... Well on the contrast, there're some from womenswear...

They could be auto-fitted on G8M or converted for G8M with Genesis 8 Cross-Figure Resource Kit, as long as you think the design / style of the shirt may well suit a man character. devil 

crosswind said:

Nah... tbh, I rarely see men's dForce Shirt with both good open/close morphs... Well on the contrast, there're some from womenswear...

They could be auto-fitted on G8M or converted for G8M with Genesis 8 Cross-Figure Resource Kit, as long as you think the design / style of the shirt may well suit a man character. devil 

Well, fortunately my plan B seems to be working surprisingly well, so I think I can work with this shirt anyway.

That's good!

Richard Haseltine said:

felis said:

I was talking about 'Remove dForce modifier', and then reapply that.

In my experience that clears all weights. 

• felis said:

Richard Haseltine said:

felis said:

I was talking about 'Remove dForce modifier', and then reapply that.

In my experience that clears all weights. 

Yes, sorry - though it will also, of course, remove any custom adjustments for the simulation behaviour.