Trouble with fur on OBJ file

Hi everyone! First time posting on the forums.

I've sculpted an object in Blender and imported it to Daz for a scene, gotten everything set up and thought everything should be working correctly. I can place other Iray materials onto it just fine and they show up, but whenever I try for fur (for example, the Fun Fur Iray Shaders), I only get the colors, no textures.

Anyone have any idea why this might be happening, or is this just the way things are? I'd love to give my object a fluffy, furry texture if I can, instead of just a furry coloring.

Comments

• Is the object UV mapped? Do the materials that work use texture images?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Is the object UV mapped? Do the materials that work use texture images?

Yep, it is UV mapped, and I just checked and the materials that work do not require texture images.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,176
    edited July 2023

found no problem with this product.. there're 30 Fun Fur shader presets, which one did you use ? You selected surface of your object and apply it?

Post edited by crosswind on
  • crosswind said:

found no problem with this product.. there're 30 Fun Fur shader presets, which one did you use ? You selected surface of your object and apply it?

That's why I'm confused. But no fur shows up on my import.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

kirstinetheartist said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Yep, it is UV mapped, and I just checked and the materials that work do not require texture images.

When the only shaders that work are ones without texture images, and shaders with texture images show only the color and not the texture image, that is a red flag that the object is not UV mapped. You'd better double check that.

kirstinetheartist said:

crosswind said:

And the Draw Style you use? Iray preview or not? 

• barbult said:

kirstinetheartist said:

Richard Haseltine said:

When the only shaders that work are ones without texture images, and shaders with texture images show only the color and not the texture image, that is a red flag that the object is not UV mapped. You'd better double check that.

What happens if you drag an image fril (from a file browser) onto the imported model?

• crosswind said:

kirstinetheartist said:

crosswind said:

Iray preview, yes.

• Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

kirstinetheartist said:

Richard Haseltine said:

What happens if you drag an image fril (from a file browser) onto the imported model?

It shows up just fine. Again, that's why I'm very confused and why I was under the impression that I had UV mapped it correctly.

• kirstinetheartist said:

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

kirstinetheartist said:

Richard Haseltine said:

It shows up just fine. Again, that's why I'm very confused and why I was under the impression that I had UV mapped it correctly.

Yes, that seems to be the case.

• Which tool is active? Those that are involved in geometry manipulation generally cause strand-based hairs not to show.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

I don't think that product is strand-based. It says it uses displacement and normals. i don't own it, though, so i can't be sure.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036
    edited July 2023

barbult said:

I don't think that product is strand-based. It says it uses displacement and normals. i don't own it, though, so i can't be sure.

I do, it uses displacement but depending on the UV mapping of the object it may not tile well and of course iray needs the shader subdivision 

it will only show in render not preview too

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

kirstinetheartist said:

crosswind said:

kirstinetheartist said:

crosswind said:

Iray preview, yes.

Pls take a look... I just showed you the result as - :  https://mega.nz/file/2OZ3wDoa#JX-eEyVd16p-qyBPsfKJFCC79grcf-6kT50f06_eQNo