Problem with DazToUnreal for G8/UE5.2 - Broken Skeleton? [FIXED! :D]

metasidemetaside Posts: 175
edited July 2023 in Unreal Discussion

Hi,

I tried to update a project from UE5.0.3 to 5.2.1 and, after updating DazToUnreal, animations for G8 were not working. I then tried to:

- reinstall DazToUnreal (both from within Daz Studio and from the Github page by David Vodhanel) for both Daz and UE

- using IK Retargeting for other animations

- trying to retarget multiple other animations from UE4 and UE5 Mannequins

- reimporting the G8 character from Daz

But nothing worked.

I only then noticed that the skeletal mesh was not reacting to any changes in the skeleton and tried to export the skeletal mesh to Blender (I wanted to weight-paint it since it seemed that there was some error with this aspect...), the bones showed up completely wrong in Blender and were also not working as expected (as already mentioned the skeleton looked fine in UE5, but the skeletal mesh did not react to changes in it).

I'm only using UE5.2 for Metasounds so far and am trying to update some projects from UE5.0 and 5.1 over to 5.2 - everything else worked, but the project using a Genesis character gives me these problems.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Post edited by metaside on

Comments

• woyodowoyodo Posts: 6
    edited July 2023

If you used the Daz To Unreal's default G8 skeleton in UE5.0. Maybe after update to UE5.2, the Daz To Unreal plugin's default skeleton changed or lost the reference.

You can try to regist the skeleton to the new G8 skeleton under engine-plugin-DazToUnreal in UE5.2.

Or copy the G8 skeleton to a custom folder in UE5.0 and regist your skeletal mesh to the new skeleton and then transfer the project to UE5.2. 

Post edited by woyodo on
  • metasidemetaside Posts: 175

Thank you very much! I'm going to try that out! :D

edited July 2023

I'm not sure what you mean by "regist" - do you mean to assign the skeleton to the skeletal mesh? I tried the first suggestion but it's not working, nothing changes when I reassign the skeleton. I think it already was correctly assigned, it showed up as its skeleton and when I click on "find skeleton" it shows the right G8 skeleton. Or is "regist skeleton" something else?

I don't know how DazToUnreal really works, but I think there is something else wrong, the skeleton is assigned but the skeletal mesh doesn't react to it. It feels like the weight painting is missing or something like that. I have the exact same problem with new imports from Daz to UE5.2...

Post edited by metaside on

The physics asset for the skeletal mesh is perfect btw. clothing works and so on, only the G8 skeleton seems to be "broken" for lack of a better term...

OMG I just tried to import a new char from Daz to unreal again and now it seems to work and it even fixed the old char! I guess the skeleton it used before was outdated, not sure why it didn't update it before, maybe it was just some kind of glitch last time...

Thanks again @woyodo for the help!

• woyodowoyodo Posts: 6

metaside said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "regist" - do you mean to assign the skeleton to the skeletal mesh? I tried the first suggestion but it's not working, nothing changes when I reassign the skeleton. I think it already was correctly assigned, it showed up as its skeleton and when I click on "find skeleton" it shows the right G8 skeleton. Or is "regist skeleton" something else?

I don't know how DazToUnreal really works, but I think there is something else wrong, the skeleton is assigned but the skeletal mesh doesn't react to it. It feels like the weight painting is missing or something like that. I have the exact same problem with new imports from Daz to UE5.2...

Yes, i mean assign 

woyodo said:

Yes, i mean assign 

Ok, thanks again! I was thinking maybe I missed some function, but all is working fine now! :D