Weight Node Re-mapping help

straker1999straker1999 Posts: 23

I have been trying for 3 days to solve a problem and can't seem to get dForce to cooperate.

Situation:

I have a Gen8 figure that I am trying to get a dForce compliant robe to drop off the shoulders, slide down the arms and be caught in the hands and hang there. I have used 3 different clothing items for this trial (can list them if needed) but every method I have tried doesn't work properly and the clothing hangs up on different body parts.

I have re-weigthed the individual bone maps and that makes weird things happen and is not consistant. I have added a weight node to the overall item (which I have done in the past) to accomplish this type of effect, but this time, no joy. I have reduced the skin and clothing friction to minimum, no joy either (well, it helps slightly). I have run out of ideas and I know it's probably something simple I have overlooked. I know it's possible as I have seen renders featuring just this type of thing but I have run into a wall on this one.

Can anyone help with this issue. Thanks in advance. Rob

Post edited by straker1999 on

Comments

• Bone weight mapping would not be relevant.

Have you tried adjusting the collision settings, in Simulation Settings? It sounds as if a vertex on the cloth is hitting, and sticking to, a vertex on the base figure.

• Thanks for responding. I have not altered any simulation settings, just the item(s) collision and friction settings. Will test again and post results. Hope I can get a solution to this issue.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,176

Better name the robe you are using, we may give you a test case.

• straker1999straker1999 Posts: 23
    edited July 2023

I had to do many test Sim's and adjustments to get it to this state at least. As you can see in front shot it drops mostly properly sort of. But on the back shot you can see the sleeves are sticking out in space and won't settle. These areas move with the hands (why you would do this is beyond me). The circled area was another problem, this was "sticking to the glute/crotch area. The hail mary solution was to Unpartent the Lower Abdomen section of the robe surface to None. Since that worked I did it to the forearms and hands but still no joy on the sleeves as you can see. The other issue is if I go beyond this basic pose in the timeline to refine the movements to the final pose, I get tearing, pulling apart, arms passing through the clothing surface. A lot of general weirdness. I'm stumped.

The robe being used here is: dForce Sheer Robe G8F by Matteo IO
    The other one that I will test if I can't get this to work is Jazmina Robe by Rhiannon

For some reason I can't seem to attach or insert images   .???????

Post edited by straker1999 on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189

How are you simulating?

And does the pose require a lot of movement. If so part of the clothing might get trapped on the way to the final pose, i.e. if a limb passes through other body parts.

edited July 2023

A proper design / making / setup could lead to the possibility and flexibility of expected results...

As for Sheer Robe, as per my exp. it's not easy to make what you want with dForce simulation only, because it's quite limited to its design and surface setup. I owned this item and checked it, for me, I had to use Mesh Grabber to 'enlarge' the shoulders and tweak the dynamic surfaces. One time's simulation would not be enough to make it drape and hang to "hands", and better further finetune the morph with MG or Blender - a rough result as below:

As for Jazmina Robe, it's much easier - 2 time's simulation was almost fine - :

BTW, these draping results also depend on figure's poses, more tweaks might be needed for some specific cases.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Yep, that's pretty much the reults I was getting. I thought I was just doing something wrong. I also had to massage the item with Mesh Grabber to make it do what was needed. The problem was exasperated when I continued to move the torso in "waist twist" and "forearm bend". The results became catastophic with Sheer Robe.

edited July 2023

Actually there's still another way out, if you happen to know Marvelous Designer... Export the robe to MD, simulate + drag (with Pins) and import back to DS as a draping morph...if plus Blender as well, you can make lots of morphs + subtle changes that you have no way to make them in DS ~~   For instance, this Sheer Robe was just made with MD. Though you don't have the project file, you still can simulate it in MD... as below ~~

Post edited by crosswind on