Animation help?

Hi,

I would like to ask some things about animations I'm a beginner!

- Can I lock part of the body in place, so that only part of it moves? Like locking foot so I can turn/move the leg.

- Can I parent/smart connect something like a hand to another character? Say I want make two characters walk hand-in-hand... When the animation starts, the hands are not anymore posed together. Is there a way to lock their hands together while animating the rest of their bodies?

- Is there a way to change something to multiple keyes at the same time? Say I wanna fix a finger that's off in all of the frames and just needs to be moved slightly up, is there a way to apply the change to that finger only to all the keyes at once? Because for now I've been copy-pasting the pose on every single key to adjust said finger :(

Thank you very much! 

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,176
    edited July 2023

Wyrmlady said:

Hi,

I would like to ask some things about animations I'm a beginner!

- Can I lock part of the body in place, so that only part of it moves? Like locking foot so I can turn/move the leg.

Yes,  just for posing purpose with IK,  for instance, you press Space bar to loack a joint / node . For instance, you select  Chese Upper, then drag figure's left hand to make a pose...

- Can I parent/smart connect something like a hand to another character? Say I want make two characters walk hand-in-hand... When the animation starts, the hands are not anymore posed together. Is there a way to lock their hands together while animating the rest of their bodies?

Yes, use IK chain, menu Create - New IK chain... there're some tutorials on tube, e.g. from Jay - https://youtu.be/lCv_PFWcLcE

- Is there a way to change something to multiple keyes at the same time? Say I wanna fix a finger that's off in all of the frames and just needs to be moved slightly up, is there a way to apply the change to that finger only to all the keyes at once? Because for now I've been copy-pasting the pose on every single key to adjust said finger :(

Yes, you may select multiple keyframes first : select the node or expand the node tree on the timeline, drag your LMB to frame selection / marquee selection,   then make change you want...  as attached Ss

Thank you very much! 

SNAG-2023-7-11-0035.png
    2059 x 720 - 114K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,610

The instructions above by Crosswind will work for posing, but not for animation. In general daz studio is very limited as for animation features, at least compared to a modern system as blender or maya. If you're serious about animation then export to blender and work there.

https://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/

1. To lock hands/feet for animation you need ik chains, that's very different from pins which only work for posing.
    2. You can't change the parent in animation, you can parent objects but they will stay parented for the whole animation.
    3. As shown by Crosswind, editing multiple keys is limited to a single channel so this may be enough or not depending on the situation. There's no way to layer animations that's what you're asking for.

I can make and upload a video if needed devil

• tfistfis Posts: 129
    edited July 2023

Wyrmlady said:

I'd use limbstick and null objects

Post edited by tfis on
  • ladywolf1ladywolf1 Posts: 123

tfis said:

Wyrmlady said:

Yes but the item/object would still move...? I'm not sure to understand your solution 

crosswind said:

It would be super useful if you could? Especially showing the point about "holding hands" or whatever for two characters.I tried but I can't manage.... when the animation plays, the hands aren't anymore together I'm missing something I guess? :( thanks

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,610
    edited July 2023

For tips on how to use ik chains you can look at my signature, there's also holding hands iirc. But again I strongly advise not to use daz studio for animation, unless you really need to.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/357776/ik-chains-explained

Post edited by Padone on

Wyrmlady said:

crosswind said:

It would be super useful if you could? Especially showing the point about "holding hands" or whatever for two characters.I tried but I can't manage.... when the animation plays, the hands aren't anymore together I'm missing something I guess? :( thanks

Yeah ~ I just showed you some tricks of Pins and the example of IK chains for 'hand in hand'. Hopefully they might be helpful...  https://mega.nz/file/eXxlXY5L#jgYZFYASHdNbBLiiNPieuzplS5wNsmR7cgnzydAO4GY

edited July 2023

crosswind said:

Wyrmlady said:

crosswind said:

Yeah ~ I just showed you some tricks of Pins and the example of IK chains for 'hand in hand'. Hopefully they might be helpful...  https://mega.nz/file/eXxlXY5L#jgYZFYASHdNbBLiiNPieuzplS5wNsmR7cgnzydAO4GY

I'm having a look at the video / tutorials I'll let you know soon! :)

Meanwhile... another question: is there a way TO ADD frames in specific spots instead of just the end? Say I wanna extend the animation at the beginning... Is there a way to add frames at the start of the animation OR to move the currrent keyes forwards down the line of frames so to free up and make empty their previos position on the timeline? Thanks!

Post edited by ladywolf1 on

Wyrmlady said:

crosswind said:

Wyrmlady said:

crosswind said:

Yeah ~ I just showed you some tricks of Pins and the example of IK chains for 'hand in hand'. Hopefully they might be helpful...  https://mega.nz/file/eXxlXY5L#jgYZFYASHdNbBLiiNPieuzplS5wNsmR7cgnzydAO4GY

I'm having a look at the video / tutorials I'll let you know soon! :)

Meanwhile... another question: is there a way TO ADD frames in specific spots instead of just the end? Say I wanna extend the animation at the beginning... Is there a way to add frames at the start of the animation OR to move the currrent keyes forwards down the line of frames so to free up and make empty their previos position on the timeline? Thanks!

Yes, pls take a look at this quick example - : https://mega.nz/file/GKRwCYzK#wxl9vYZwkFXkaKNHrzkc9B98Ym9Xl2uf0W1UR9OhYpI

• tfistfis Posts: 129

Wyrmlady said:

tfis said:

Wyrmlady said:

Yes but the item/object would still move...? I'm not sure to understand your solution 

Parent 0 to hand 1,limbstick hand 2 to 0.

Hand 2 will follow hand 1.