1) Completly new pc with:

Cpu: ryzen 7 5700g

Gpu: gigabyte rtx 3060 12gb

Motherboard: asus prime b550m-a ac

2) Used pc with:

Cpu: intel i7 12700kf

Gpu: zotac rtx 3080 ti 12gb

Motherboard: aorus b660m pro ax wifi

What would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Post edited by carlfisher999 on

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,500
    edited July 2023

When you have GPU's with the same memory and the same generation, the next thing to compare is the number of CUDA cores as that's the next thing that affects iRay. 

The 3080ti has 10240, the 3060 has 3584. Speed in iRay is closely related to the number of CUDA cores. So, if the price is about the same & your assessment is that the 3080 hasn't been absed, it'd suggest the 3080 ti is the one to go for. This from someone who bought a new 3060..

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,176

Agreed, if I were you, I'd go for the used rig, as long as there's no significant defect or problem in terms of its hardware...Better have some test before buying...

• richardandtracy said:

When you have GPU's with the same memory and the same generation, the next thing to compare is the number of CUDA cores as that's the next thing that affects iRay. 

The 3080ti has 10240, the 3060 has 3584. Speed in iRay is closely related to the number of CUDA cores. So, if the price is about the same & your assessment is that the 3080 hasn't been absed, it'd suggest the 3080 ti is the one to go for. This from someone who bought a new 3060..

Regards,

Richard.

Thank you for answering my question, and just a last thing in case you're around, if I buy the new pc (ryzen 7 5700g and asus prime b550m) with an used rtx 3090, would that be better than the whole used 2nd pc? I'm asking because maybe it's going to generate a lot of bottleneck the fact of having a "cheap" cpu with a powerfull gpu, I'm not an expert but maybe it's better to have the i7 12700kf with the rtx 3080ti instead of the ryzen 7 5700g with a rtx 3090. Sorry about all these questions and about my english, esl here.

• crosswind said:

Agreed, if I were you, I'd go for the used rig, as long as there's no significant defect or problem in terms of its hardware...Better have some test before buying...

Thank you!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,500
    I am afraid I simply don't know if the processor is going to be a bottleneck. With my i5-13600k it gets to 15% CPU load feeding data to the RTX 3060 GPU. I don't know the relative performance of the AMD processor. I'm pretty sure it would be able to cope with a 3060 as the AMD is 70%(?) as fast as the i5 , but I have no idea if it would be up to feeding a 3090 with the data it needs. Regards, Richard
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,588

The b660m is a slightly higher specification. The full length second slot is going to be more useful than the 1X slots on the 550 motherboard.

Even though that second slot is only 8 lanes, It's enough to support an adapter in there and a couple of M.2 drives.

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285

I'm going to offer an alternative opinion and it's one based on my business mindset. We use our PCs and Studio for commercial game development so all our decisions are based strictly on income vs risk, rather than on headline performance figures.

Unless you know and 100% trust the seller of the used PC, I'd buy the warranted and new system. If that used system fails after a week you will probably have no recourse or ability to recoup your losses. On paper, the used system looks like a much better bet but what would you do if it failed? If the used PC is from a commercial retailer, sure, it's the one to have if your country's laws offer some level of retail protection but if it's from an individual? I wouldn't touch it.

Crypto is headed for the garbage disposal chute where it always belonged and a lot of miners are offloading their utterly thrashed systems and GPUs for someone else to take a risk on.

It's one thing to talk about CUDA cores, rendering speeds and so on. On that basis the used system is the winner no doubt. How about risk? It's your call Carl but I would be very wary of used GPUs (especially) at this particular moment in time.