Frequent Error when iRay Rendering

I frequently get the following error when doing an iRay render.   

2023-07-08 16:12:31.363 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.30  IRAY   rend error: All workers failed: aborting render

What is the cause?  

How do I resolve the problem?

Comments

• It means all the possible render devices (nVidia GPUs and CPU) are not available - perhaps you have CPU disabled adn the GPU ran out of memory on a previous render, requiring DS to be restarted before it will work again. Really, we would need the whole log to give a more specific response.

• Db3dDb3d Posts: 248

Richard Haseltine said:

It means all the possible render devices (nVidia GPUs and CPU) are not available - perhaps you have CPU disabled adn the GPU ran out of memory on a previous render, requiring DS to be restarted before it will work again. Really, we would need the whole log to give a more specific response.

That's interesting since it happens only on my 2080Ti machine which is maxed out on memory, both on the 20180Ti and the motherboard.

Playing around I noticed if I delete certain assets from the scene, it will render.   If I ONLY have those assets in the scene, it still crashes.   

Thus, if I have my G9, all of her clothes, etc., it will render fine.   As I start adding scenery, like trees, certain trees will cause it to crash, while others will work just fine.

• Which still sounds like memory - trees, with the leaf mesh, can be very demanding on resources.

• Db3dDb3d Posts: 248

Richard Haseltine said:

Which still sounds like memory - trees, with the leaf mesh, can be very demanding on resources.

I have/had the CPU boxes unchecked.   When I checked the, restarted DAZ, it worked.   

So, to make sure I understand, even if you have a high-powered GPU, you still want the fall back to be the CPU?

Brent

• That depends on what you want to happen with scenes that are too much for the GPU.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

Db3d said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Which still sounds like memory - trees, with the leaf mesh, can be very demanding on resources.

I have/had the CPU boxes unchecked.   When I checked the, restarted DAZ, it worked.   

So, to make sure I understand, even if you have a high-powered GPU, you still want the fall back to be the CPU?

If you run out of VRAM, the high powered GPU becomes just as usefull as any generic GPU one can buy with pocket change.

Falling back to CPU allows the computer to keep rendering, although at 10-20+ times slower pace.