Iray Render Crashing at Texture Loading Stage.

I recently upgraded to a 3090 as previously, I was capping out the 8GB VRAM of my 3070ti when running Daz. 

I have come back to some of my old scenes that I could not render before expecting more success, only to find I experience the same amount of crashing. 

Basically, any scene with +2 G8.1 characters + location props will crash out most of the time. 

Attached is a screenshot of what usually happens. It always seems to be the texture loading phase that the crash occurs. I have even tried significantly lowering the texture size (eliminated ANY 8k texture, kept some 4k for my main subject and 2k or lower on anything "background". Same result. 

From monitoring my system, it does not seem to be a VRAM issue. The CPU spikes to 100%, but it does that anyway, even when a successful render is happening. Memory usage is 74%, so thats not doing it (right?). 

I am pulling my hair out a bit here. lol. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I thought a new 3090 would eat this stuff alive easily. 

For some reason the image I am trying to upload gets stuck at uploading (lol, does anything Daz makes work 100% as intended? :) ). So here is a link - https://ibb.co/zfQt9D8

Post edited by sarahbeeblebrx on

Comments

• Which version of Daz Studio (Help>About Daz Studio)? That looks like the issue with FreeImage.dll and Tiff files.

• Hi Richard. 4.21.0.5 - I am sorry but I dont know what issue you are aluding to, and Google doesnt give me many clues either.

• Can you tell if the problem scenes use .tiff files for any of their materials? The issue was essentialy what you are seeing, Iray crashed with certain image files in Tiff format (though that doesn't exclude other causes in yiour case).

• sarahbeeblebrxsarahbeeblebrx Posts: 5
    edited July 2023

I did some digging today and found a few TIFF files which I converted. That did seem to clear that issue. I then ran into the KERNELBASE.DDL issue, which I cleared by increasing my systems virtual memory. 

Now things seem to work OK-ish. But every now and then the render will default to my CPU for seemingly no good reason, or Daz Studio will just crash out with no warning and no report given. This seems to be on 2nd or 3rd atempts, so I guess its Daz not flushing the VRAM, even though my task manager stats are not showing it as used?

Post edited by sarahbeeblebrx on
  • On one of the recent crashes, I did get this:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "E:\Program Files\Daz 3D\Applications\64-bit\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libiray.dll" at 0033:000000009B20A5E0, mi_plugin_factory()+134912 byte(s)

The render was going to complete succesfully the first time, but I noticed some out of place things. So stopped, adjusted, restarted, crashed.

• Iray doesn't do a very good job of releasing memory on the GPU, especially if the render ran out of memory (usually a restart of the application is needed). Also, make sure you close the previous render window as keeping them open keeps the scene data in the GPU.