Can't select an item

I have this happen from time to time, and decided to finally ask. Usually when I load clothing or hair on a figure, I can right click on the item in the scene and then select it from the menu that pops up. However, I have a few items from both here and Rendo that I cannot do that with. They're not marked in the scene view as unselectable. Any idea on what would be causing this and how to make them selectable again?

Comments

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 749

MeneerWolfman said:

Usually when I load clothing or hair on a figure, I can right click on the item in the scene and then select it from the menu that pops up.

This is a bit confusing because as soon as you right click on an item in the scene pane... you're already selecting it. What exactly do you mean that you can select the item? I seldomly use this method myself but as far as I can recall the "select" option doesn't provide anything to just select that individual item but rather a selection. So all items in the scene or all items of that same type.

However, I have a few items from both here and Rendo that I cannot do that with. They're not marked in the scene view as unselectable. Any idea on what would be causing this and how to make them selectable again?

Can you be a little more precise? Perhaps share specific item names?

Also: does the context menu show you the option to delete the currently selected item?  Because if so then I can't help conclude that things work as intended and that you may be confused with another option.

• Usually loading a fitted or parented item (clothes etc.) the base figure will be selected - right-click will usually have options to seelct the base item or the bone selection group under the pointer, or the topmost fitted item or its bone selection group under the pointer. If the item is unselectable, or has unhelpful s election groups (what happens when you hide the bones in the area you are clicking on?) then that behaviour can be blocked.

• See the attached

In both they're wearing the dash shirt and a pair of speedoes I bought from Rendo. And in both the g8m figure is selected.

If I hover over the dash shirt and right click (can select image) I can interact and select the dash shirt. However, if I hover over the area where the speedoes are and right click, I cannot interact or select the speedoes.

Alright, I take that back. Don't see the attached, apparently your image upload function is busted :P

Not sure how to demonstrate this since I can't attach images.

• Please host the image elsewhere (Dropbox, Onedrive, Google drive) and post a link - though it does sound like the behaviour i describe, so check selectability (icon next to the eyes, of the Selectable button in Parameters) and what, if any, seelction group is assigned (what vanishes when you turn off the visibility of the bones on the shorts).

• Hi Richard,

The selectability is not turned off on the scene view for the item or its bones.

If I try hiding the bones, it doesn't change what's shown (e.g., nothing is hiding).

Looking at its geometry it has the following:

1 face group - default

2 surface groups - front and hip

2 selection regions - actor (0 polys) and Hip (all of the items polys)

Trying to hide the hip bone of the item doesn't change visibility.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,176

That's because the related geometry (Face Group) was not assigned to the selected Bone... you may switch to Joint Editor to check it.

• crosswind said:

That's because the related geometry (Face Group) was not assigned to the selected Bone... you may switch to Joint Editor to check it.

Bingo! That was it. I assigned the hip bone joint to the lone default face group and that made it appear. Thank you, good sir!