How to stop object deforming midway through morph

bart203040bart203040 Posts: 10

So I am trying to do seomthing I thought would be fairly simple, I am creating a scene that has a wall with a door in it and I want that door to be able to open and be set to varying degrees of openness. I have imported that wall and the door seperately as OBJs from Blender, and then exported a second OBJ of the door fully open, then loaded that into morph loader.

However, when I apply the morph it only looks right when at 100%, and with all the values in between the door is squashed looking which just dosent look great. Is there a way to load a second OBJ into the morph at like a halfway point? Or is there a way to lock the translation and scale so that only rotation is affected?

This is my first time trying to create a morph so I apologise if I am missing something fundamental, I know it is hard to see the distortion from the screenshots but it is definately noticeable

Edit: Screenshots dont seem to be uploading for some reason

Post edited by bart203040 on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,176

It's a frequently-asked question, you should go for 'rigging' a door to close/open other than 'morphing' it... I remember Mr. Richard Haseltine  ever gave a very good explanation on the reason but I forgot his words... frown

You may check this video from Parmy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH6sg-pMppU

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

When one makes a morph for an object, all of the vertices of the mesh are following a straight line from A to B (morph dial from 0% to 100%), that is why a morph is not good for opening a door.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

It will work for sliding doors... devil

• bart203040bart203040 Posts: 10

Oh okay, so a morph is basically for deforming a mesh and rigging would be for moving it. That makes a lot of sense now that its been pointed out lol.

Thanks for the responses, I sincerely appreciate the help

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,241

https://youtu.be/a7Jnzo4HBXQ

The WP Guru has several good tutorials over on YouTube.

So rigging does seem like a good way to go, however as I am importing the door seperately to the wall all the door needs is move the origin then apply some Y rotation, which I can then set to a parameter. However, when I apply the ERC freeze it wants to include the origin change as well which distorts the movement. Is there a way to apply and lock the new origin point before the rotation happens?

I am not sure that totally makes sense, its more of a curiosity for future reference tbh, I see that rigging it with a bone is probably the most efficient solution.

• You should be able to deselect the unwanted proeprties in the ERC Freeze dialogue.

But then it rotates from the initial origin of the object, the centre of the base, which for a door isnt right.  I am wondering if there is a way to set the adjusted origin to be the default for that object without it having to go through the origin change as part of the parameter change.

If I set the origin manually and then rotate on the Y it works as intended, but I was hoping to create one parameter that will swing the door open to be a bit more user friendly, but the parameter sees the origin in its original position at 0 and then tries to move it as its rotating. I know it sounds a bit confusing, im not good with words lol.  Maybe DAZ just dosent work that way, thats fine, just curious as we are on the subject.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,294
    edited July 2023

I am not following - movbe te centre, and use thata s your base. Use ERC Freeze to link the  Y Rotation. it should then rotate around the moved origin. None of the basic features will reset the origin. You can also use Memorise Figure Rigging from the Joint Editor option menu, but I can't recall if that works on props.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189

I don't think I fully understand what you are doing.

Can't you move the origin of the door, and set the desired limits before you save it?

Bingo! Memorise selected node rigging did it in the Joint editor

As always with Daz, so simple when you know how!