Is there an easy way to punch a rectangular hole into a wall ...

LauritaLaurita Posts: 212

[Is there an easy way to punch a rectangular hole into a wall] ... to create a makeshift doorframe?

The mesh resolution of said wall isn't high enough to get edited by the Geometry Editor tool and I can not change it to SubD because it would get warped.

Any ideas?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,180

I'm afraid the only way of 'punching that hole' in DS is to use Gescon plugin. Well another free and easy way is to add subd and make a 'boolean' in Blender... then import back to DS and shade it. 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,501

If the wall doesn't use a tiled surface, you could use use an opacity map, and put a black rectangle on a white background for the opacity and use that for the image in the wall opacity channel. The black rectangle being where the door is. No use if the texture is tiled.

Regards,

Richard.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

richardandtracy said:

If the wall doesn't use a tiled surface, you could use use an opacity map, and put a black rectangle on a white background for the opacity and use that for the image in the wall opacity channel. The black rectangle being where the door is. No use if the texture is tiled.

Regards,

Richard.

Even if tiled you can use that. You just need to set the tiling of the cutout-oppacity to the reverse of the tiling. E.g. a tiling of 8, then you have to set the tiling of the cutout to 0.125 

I more often than not use the DAZ Uber shader, and I don't think that allows different tiling ratios. If there is another shader that does (the G8.1 PBR shader maybe?) that could do it, yep, that would work with tiled images.

And possibly I need to investigate that myself too.

Regards,

Richard.

edited July 2023

It sounds like that OP just uses a primitive plane... so I'd also like to know how to set a 'reverse tiling' on Cutout Opacity... BTW, PBRSkin shader won't do with it as there's no Cutout Opacity slot...

Like this brick shader with H/V tiles of 4, how to 'set the tiles' for opacity map?

Post edited by crosswind on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,437
    edited July 2023

In the surfaces pane, go to the channel of interest with an image. Click the micro-thumbnail and select Image Editor (not L.I.E.). In the dialog there is s tab (in the middle) called Instance Tiling. This setting will only affect this one image.

Note: only availble in Iray

Post edited by NorthOf45 on

Nice! I'll try later, just shut down my PC~ devil

edited July 2023

Like this? Then everything is gone... TBH, I have never used this Image Editor before... crying I even haven't seen any product or tutorial related to this editor... What is the mechanism of it?

Post edited by crosswind on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189
    edited July 2023

Yes

Is the overall tiling 4?

You will probably have to render to see the result (or Iray preview). You can see it in Filament, although it has general issues with cutout-oppacity.

Post edited by felis on

I know of one product that uses it for rips and tears: PTF Grungy Threads. There might be others, but basically it applies a separate opacity map that can be moved and scaled to overlay the UV map of the original (usually) clothing. It is useful to have the auxiliary viewport showing the UV view to guide you in positioning and scaling the opacity map. Not sure where the origin is; bottom left, I think.

For the case of the doorway, the opacity map needs to be same proportions as the wall with the door opening, otherwise, if you have to tile it, or offset it, you might end up with two or more doorways. Inverse of any shader tiling (vert and horiz) will make it fit the wall once.

Well, that was a useful, if unexpected, learning experience. Thank you. Regards, Richard.

felis said:

Yes

Is the overall tiling 4?

You will probably have to render to see the result (or Iray preview). You can see it in Filament, although it has general issues with cutout-oppacity.

Yeah, 4 ~ it was in DrawStyle -  Iray preview, and Render did not work either..

Got it ~ the scaling was wrong by chance. Though it's a bit cumbersome to tweak offset values with the editor, but it works! Thank you guys ! Always be learning! yeslaugh