Arms (Armpits?)

morrisonmpmorrisonmp Posts: 152

I know there's been a lot of back and forth about G9 on these boards. And I get that G9 is here to stay. But I feel like I'm going crazy. 

Look at London and Cairo (put up today 7/3/2023). They are great looking characters with awesome faces. But look at the way the arms attach to the torso. It's the first thing I look for when any new G9 character is released. The arms just attach to the torso really oddly. And the armpit area never looks right. On most masculine characters it barely exists and on most feminine characters it has an odd bowing, narrowing effect on the upper arm/shoulder area. 

Some characters have not had this issue but a lot have. I feel like it's a fundamental flaw in the G9 skeleton. 

I can't be the only one seeing this, right?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Moved to Technical Help as it is not a Product Suggestion.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,180

They need to be better sculpted or need some good partial body morphs...

• morrisonmpmorrisonmp Posts: 152
    edited July 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

Moved to Technical Help as it is not a Product Suggestion.

Not arguing... but I chose the category of product suggestion because I'd like to see it improved. It's not a question I'm asking for help on... I'm asking that G9 be tweaked/fixed such that it is a more full-featured model. Perhaps I should have put it in Commons.

Post edited by morrisonmp on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

Usually Richard moves threads into product suggestions, not out.

• barbult said:

Usually Richard moves threads into product suggestions, not out.

I moved a thread into the Freebies forum earlier.

A bend correction product would be a product suggestion. this could also go to Art Studio, I was torn.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375
    edited July 2023

Wish people would post images with diagrams and arrows pointing out what their complaints are.

Also claim that there is some 'fundamental flaw in the G9 skeleton' is likely unfounded based on OP, as what is described (without pictures and evidence might i add) is a morph/sculpt issue, and JCM/CBS issue, not a G9 skeleton issue.

I recognise topology flow of G9 could be better, but that's not going to outright make *checks notes* the "arms just attach to the torso really oddly"

Post edited by lilweep on
  • Attachments are curently largely broken, which does limit options.

Users can always upload to Daz Gallery as private image and embed. 

Must be only select users with issues or user error.

Capture.JPG
    618 x 285 - 14K

lilweep said:

Wish people would post images with diagrams and arrows pointing out what their complaints are.

Also claim that there is some 'fundamental flaw in the G9 skeleton' is likely unfounded based on OP, as what is described (without pictures and evidence might i add) is a morph/sculpt issue, and JCM/CBS issue, not a G9 skeleton issue.

I recognise topology flow of G9 could be better, but that's not going to outright make *checks notes* the "arms just attach to the torso really oddly"

Cool. So, look at https://www.daz3d.com/koo-madee-hd-for-genesis-9 and check out the 5th and 6th promo pictures. That arm is a travesty. This is one of the most egregious but it's a problem with a lot of G9s. Some are better. But all have this issue to some extent. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

While I agree, to be fair, G8 has the same issues depending on the pose. Also, just because you see something that you think is off, doesn't mean another, namely a PA sees it also. It's quite possible that they looked at exactly what you are looking at and didn't see anything wrong with it,or even thought it looks good.

I have been working with G9 for awhile now and for the most part, haven't had any issues, but there have been a few poses where the arm bend is bad and yesterday with an extreme pose with the legs bent a certain way and it looked horrible. So hopefull;y there is a PA working on a bend fix product just like G8 has

FSMCDesigns said:

While I agree, to be fair, G8 has the same issues depending on the pose. Also, just because you see something that you think is off, doesn't mean another, namely a PA sees it also. It's quite possible that they looked at exactly what you are looking at and didn't see anything wrong with it,or even thought it looks good.

I have been working with G9 for awhile now and for the most part, haven't had any issues, but there have been a few poses where the arm bend is bad and yesterday with an extreme pose with the legs bent a certain way and it looked horrible. So hopefull;y there is a PA working on a bend fix product just like G8 has

That's not a posing problem though... that's the character with their arms at rest at their sides. It's baked in to the figure.

morrisonmp said:

FSMCDesigns said:

That's not a posing problem though... that's the character with their arms at rest at their sides. It's baked in to the figure.

I agree that armpit area does not look great.

But that image is not default pose, it is an upperarm down pose, which usually needs a JCM/CBS for at least the arm-lats interactions, which then needs a second corrective for when the upperarm is down but the shoulder moves forward and back a the same time, and then another for when the upperarm moves forward and back at the same time.

Most PA's dont bother adding those (or any) JCM/CBS. We cant force them to do so, and nobody's forcing us to buy products that showcase bad bends.

If you like a character's face, body, and skin, you can always just never dial in the body morph. 

edited July 2023

New day. New figure. Different PA. Same problem.

https://www.daz3d.com/ndfp-akhane-for-genesis-9

See first promo image.

Post edited by morrisonmp on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

morrisonmp said:

lilweep said:

Cool. So, look at https://www.daz3d.com/koo-madee-hd-for-genesis-9 and check out the 5th and 6th promo pictures. That arm is a travesty. This is one of the most egregious but it's a problem with a lot of G9s. Some are better. But all have this issue to some extent. 

Keep in mind that Madee is a Daz+ item selling to members for less than $5. Maybe the PA didn't spend a lot of time perfecting base corrective morphs (formerly JCMs). Or, as atated above, maybe the PA thought what you object to, was adquate.

morrisonmp said:

New day. New figure. Different PA. Same problem.

https://www.daz3d.com/ndfp-akhane-for-genesis-9

See first promo image.

wait until you do shoulder bend up and upperarm bend up at the same time...