Weird Texture Issue with Topmodel Updo Hair and OOT Hairblending 2.0 for Genesis 3 Female(s)

2»

Comments

• CyonixCyonix Posts: 212
    edited July 2023

Alright, so...I thought this was fixed, but unfortunately the issue hasn't completely gone away.  Fortunately, the scene subset provided by crosswind does work; however, it only seems to work as long as I don't change anything about the hair.  Unfortunately, I need the hair in two different colors for my character, which means if I change the hair color of the 'good' hair and save the file out, the newly saved file reloads as a 'bad' hair with the issue once again.

However, while comparing the 'good' blonde hair and the 'bad' pink hair, I actually discovered something unexpected: the 'good' hair has a 'Transmitted Color' setting in its hair surfaces that the 'bad' hair doesn't seem to have (I even checked the surface's hidden properties, the 'bad' hair definitely does not have this 'Transmitted Color' setting).  Is it possible that the lack of a 'Transmitted Color' setting is what's causing the issue in the 'bad' hair?  And if so, why is it that when I save out the 'good' hair (that has the setting), it reloads as a 'bad' hair (without the setting)?

EDIT: Ok, so I'm not sure that setting has anything to do with the issue....if I apply a saved material preset to the 'bad' hair, it fixes the issue (temporarily), but there's still no 'Transmitted Color' setting anywhere in the 'bad hair...and of course, saving out the fixed 'bad' hair and reloading it causes the issue to occur once again...

Post edited by Cyonix on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,437
    edited July 2023

Transmitted colour was the reason all the OOT hairs were updated earlier this year, it was causing a crash in Iray. That particular brick was completely removed from the Hairblending 2.0 shader, so it should not even be in there. If so, you have an older shader lurking somewhere in your system. A preset could have some lingering data to set it, but if that channel is not used it should not make a difference, since it would simply be ignored. The "latest" Hairblending  2.0 shader is dated April ‎5, ‎2023. (The cap surface has a Transmitted colour, but it uses yet another different shader, not Hairblending)

ETA:  this thread might be of interest: outoftouch Hair update galore.

Post edited by NorthOf45 on

NorthOf45 said:

Transmitted colour was the reason all the OOT hairs were updated earlier this year, it was causing a crash in Iray. That particular brick was completely removed from the Hairblending 2.0 shader, so it should not even be in there. If so, you have an older shader lurking somewhere in your system. A preset could have some lingering data to set it, but if that channel is not used it should not make a difference, since it would simply be ignored. The "latest" Hairblending  2.0 shader is dated April ‎5, ‎2023. (The cap surface has a Transmitted colour, but it uses yet another different shader, not Hairblending)

ETA:  this thread might be of interest: outoftouch Hair update galore.

Wait, so the latest version of the shader is from April?  Interesting...the version in my data folder shows it was last updated in January...perhaps DazCentral isn't downloading the latest version of the shader for some reason?

• Not all products were updated, as far as I could see, so installation order (or the order in which the products are read for Connect installs) may lead to an unfixed version being loaded. If you have or download from your account the zip for a recent OoT hair you can take a copy of the fixed fiels and use them tor eplace the older files you have now (or you could try uninstalling and reinstalling a recent OoT hair)..

Richard Haseltine said:

Not all products were updated, as far as I could see, so installation order (or the order in which the products are read for Connect installs) may lead to an unfixed version being loaded. If you have or download from your account the zip for a recent OoT hair you can take a copy of the fixed fiels and use them tor eplace the older files you have now (or you could try uninstalling and reinstalling a recent OoT hair)..

I downloaded a few OOT zip files from my product library and noticed some had a shader dated January 5, 2023 (which matched the one in my data folder) while some had a shader dated January 7, 2017. On a whim, I grabbed a copy of both shaders from the zip files and replaced the 2023 shader in my data folder with the 2017 shader and loaded up the 'bad' hair.  Here's where things get weird: when I load the 'bad' hair with the 2017 shader in my data folder, it loads without ANY issues.  If I replace the 2017 shader with the 2023 shader and reload the file, it loads with the same issues as before.  So it seems something in the 2023 shader file is causing the issues...

• Which version of Daz Studio are you using? Help>About Daz Studio.

Okay, the latest date could be misleading, depending on which "date" you look at. Date, Date Modified, Date Created in File Explorer all reflect when they got installed the first time and/or updated. Looking in the packages themselves, the Hairblending shaders all date to early January, 2023 (05, 07, 12 in most) with a size of 645,572 bytes. Didn't download and install all of the updates immediately, since only one file was really needed, and that fixed all of them.

Richard Haseltine said:

Which version of Daz Studio are you using? Help>About Daz Studio.

Version 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64-bit)

edited July 2023

4.21.0.5 (Oct. 12, 2022) came with a different version of Iray (Iray 2021.1.6), before the one that caused the crashes (Iray 2022.0.1, or Iray 2022.1.1). Current beta uses Iray 2022.1.7. Try the latest Hairblending 2.0 shader from January with the latest Studio beta 4.21.1.48 and see what you get. I suspect that the newer shader will not work well with the older Iray.

Daz Studio Pro 4.21[.0.x] - Highlights (General release up to 4.21.0.5)

Daz Studio Pro 4.21(.1.x) - Highlights (beta release up to 4.21.1.48)

Post edited by NorthOf45 on
    edited July 2023

NorthOf45 said:

4.21.0.5 (Oct. 12, 2022) came with a different version of Iray (Iray 2021.1.6), before the one that caused the crashes (Iray 2022.0.1, or Iray 2022.1.1). Current beta uses Iray 2022.1.7. Try the latest Hairblending 2.0 shader from January with the latest Studio beta 4.21.1.48 and see what you get. I suspect that the newer shader will not work well with the older Iray.

Just tried this.  If I open a scene with this hair in the beta with the newer shader installed, the issues persist.  If I open the same scene in the beta with the older shader installed, the issues go away...so it's gotta be something with the newer shader causing these issues, right?

EDIT: Same thing happens in the general release, too

Post edited by Cyonix on

Cyonix said:

NorthOf45 said:

Just tried this.  If I open a scene with this hair in the beta with the newer shader installed, the issues persist.  If I open the same scene in the beta with the older shader installed, the issues go away...so it's gotta be something with the newer shader causing these issues, right?

EDIT: Same thing happens in the general release, too

Works just fine on my system with the latest shader (Jan 2023) and Studio beta 4.21.1.48. There is something wonky about what has been saved in the scene. Scene files can save their own versions of any elements that are included. I have never really dissected one to see, but they do contain an enormous amount of information that is duplicating the raw elements used. Saving a newer version with compatible shader and Studio versions should get the right results.

As I said before, the difference in the presentation a couple of the controllers (different colour, different limits) indicates that some data is coming from another source. Search your entire library for any other possible occurrence of that Hairblending shader. Save a new scene subset and compare the file with the one that crosswind sent you. If you are using the same versions, they should be the same.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,180
    edited July 2023

@Cyonix

I think I found the culprit...

1) First, although the latest Hairblending 2 Shader files have different 'Modified Dates' (e.g., in this Topmodel Updo is Jan 05, 2023 while in 2022-xx series is  Jan 25, 2023), they're all the same in terms of 'coding'. Shader 2017 version still works in General Release 4.21.0.5, but if you go for rendering the hair with latest Public Build, you have to use 2023 version... 
    2) Why the Subset of this hair I saved had no problem - because I only updated Hairblending 2 shader files (OOT Hairblending Hair.dsf & Cap.dsf), which means all the other files of Topmodel Updo were kept with no change...

Just now, I successfully reproduced your issue, pls check this video in which I showed you the culprit :  https://mega.nz/file/7OZEmKqK#VcsCGvU0Mf-rqIGl5_oteQsgykHB38JmrO9iZ3igi_M

PS: Now the 'combo' shoud be like this ~~

DS version  Combo  V / X
     4.21.0.5  Base Preset ver.2017 + Shader ver.2017  V
     4.21.0.5  Base Preset ver.2016 + Shader ver.2023  V
     4.21.0.5  Base Preset ver.2017 + Shader ver.2023  X
    Post edited by crosswind on