Pose Presets ignore values of morphs introduced after they were saved

mmdestinymmdestiny Posts: 75

Hey folks,

Say you create a pose preset that is set to zero everything except 4 custom pose morphs you've scultped and saved as morph assets (say custom muscle flexes).  You then create a 5th pose morph.  Your pose preset doesn't know this 5th pose morph exists, so when you use the pose preset, it doesn't zero that morph out.

Is there a way to address this without resaving the pose morph?

(that statement read: resaving the hundreds of pose morphs I have made that are in this situation)

Post edited by mmdestiny on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,180

I don't get the point... so let's confirm first -: You ever saved a 'Pose Preset' and would like to use it to Zere figure's pose but always reserve the values of  '4 custom Pose Control morphs' you made before.... then you further made the 5th Pose Control morph... well let's assume '200 Pose Control morphs', and dialed them all. Now you still wanna zero the figure's pose but reserve the values of  '4 custom Pose Control morphs' ? Is that correct?

If that is correct, you don't need to resave anything at all. First Lock the dials of '4 custom Pose Control morphs', then Zero Figure's Pose. Then you may save a new Pose Preset if needed. Suggest you put all your 'custom Pose Control morphs' into a unique Group under Pose Control. Then it'll be very easy and quick to save any preset...

• mmdestinymmdestiny Posts: 75
    edited July 2023

crosswind said:

I don't get the point... so let's confirm first -: You ever saved a 'Pose Preset' and would like to use it to Zere figure's pose but always reserve the values of  '4 custom Pose Control morphs' you made before.... then you further made the 5th Pose Control morph... well let's assume '200 Pose Control morphs', and dialed them all. Now you still wanna zero the figure's pose but reserve the values of  '4 custom Pose Control morphs' ? Is that correct?

If that is correct, you don't need to resave anything at all. First Lock the dials of '4 custom Pose Control morphs', then Zero Figure's Pose. Then you may save a new Pose Preset if needed. Suggest you put all your 'custom Pose Control morphs' into a unique Group under Pose Control. Then it'll be very easy and quick to save any preset...

I understand that my description was not well-worded. I was trying to sum up multiple issues into a single scenario.

Let me perhaps put it this way.  Say I construct a pose of a body builder flexing.  This pose is made up of normal joint rotations and 4 Flex Pose Morphs I sculpted for muscle flexes (let's say for example Left Bicep, Right Bicep, Left Quad, Right Quad).  Let's say they are dialed to 100%.  Every Other Pose Morphs (facial expressions, etc) I have aren't used, so their value is 0.  Save As>Pose Preset>Flex1.  Because the Other Pose Morphs are saved as 0's, if I use the pose preset on top of an already posed figure, say for animation keyframing, this will overwrite whatever their previous value was with a zero.  

A month later I decide to sculpt a flex for the Back muscles.  I make another pose using normal joint rotations, the previous 4 Flex Pose Morphs, and this new one for the Back, all saved to 100%.  Save As>Pose Preset>Flex2.  Again, Other Pose Morphs are saved in the preset as 0's. 

The problem arises because Flex1 does not contain any data for how to handle the new Back morph, therefore if I go an try to animate from Flex2 to Flex1Back will remain at 100% (the value stored in Flex2) instead of becoming a 0 as it should (because it didn't exist when Flex1 was made, it should by definition be a 0).

This is a small example using just two presets and the addition of one new morph.  Extrapolate this over a few years of new morphs being sculpted and hundreds of presets saved :(.  The ultimate foot-gunning.

As of right now, the only way I know how to remedy this is to load Flex1 on an unposed figure and just resave it -- Back will be assigned a 0 and all will be well.  Except....it's not just one pose that needs this treatment.  It's... a lot :(.  Not to mention any pose presets that involved more complex settings, like unchecking/checking only certain morphs etc.

Post edited by mmdestiny on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,180
    edited July 2023

First, most likely you were making flexion morphs that should be triggered when values are assigned to relevant joint rotation from Pose presets or sth.. If I were you, I would go for the way of 'auto-triggered' just like DS does it with BaseFlexions switch on G8.x and Flexion Automatic Strength on G9... then you may just need to save pure Pose Presets without ticking these morphs since the flexion morphs will be automatically triggered...

Second, I'm afraid resaving a preset might be the only remedy as you mentioned, if you insist on using the morphs in your way. Grouping them well in Properties will be much easier for you to go for 'resaving' anyway...

Post edited by crosswind on