nvidia RTX 3070 8GB no longer supported?

For some reason DAZ studio 4.21 is unable to find and use my RTX 3070 GPU. It was all working fine and rendering nicely a few weeks ago, now it won't work at all. My renders simply come out blank and finished in a matter of seconds, not even the iray preview in the viewport does anything anymore. It doesn't seem to matter if there is anything in the scene or not. CPU rendering works as intended but I'd rather not cook my CPU for hours on end.

I have updated the GPU drivers and tried both the latest game ready drivers and studio drivers, however neither has worked. I also tried DDU to completely clear any potential bad drivers, that didn't work either. Reinstalling DAZ studio also didn't do anything for me, so I'm kind of stumped. I understand that the RTX 3070 is hardly a powerhouse when it comes to rendering, but for it to suddenly stop working baffles me. I like using DAZ as a past time to let my creative juices flow, it would be a shame to have to stop because my hardware isn't good enough anymore. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

The log is short and not very helpful to me, it just states that there are no usable devices detected:

"2023-06-21 09:34:37.401 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: Cannot render: found no usable devices. Please update your NVIDIA driver (www.nvidia.com) to at least 471.41, or enable CPU-only rendering."

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386

30x0 cardx are definitely still supported.

I know there have been problems with the few latest nvidia drivers, so try an older one (older than 535.98 IIRC)

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175

4.21 requires the minimum Nvidia driver version 471.41, or above. Suggest upgrade to 528.89, the most stable version up to now.

• Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried a series of older drivers this morning, including 528.89 but still no results. I am currently using Studio driver 257.56. Do I need to go even older?

257.56?... is there such a version? You should go for more up-to-date version other than older version. Pls still try 528.89 or 531.61 https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/204243/en-us/

After driver installation, reboot your PC and try again. If still not working, try to use DDU to 100% uninstall Nvidia graphics drivers and all residuals, and install a fresh new driver again. DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driver-uninstaller-DDU-

• 257.56 was a typo, my bad, I have driver numbers on the brain right now. I have followed your instructions and used DDU to clear the system and then installed 528.89. Sadly there has been no success, DAZ studio absolutely refuses to use the GPU for rendering. I repeated the same guidance for driver version 531.61 and rather strangely it stopped DAZ studio from working all together, it would just crash at the splash screen.

Hmm, it doesn't make sense... or it might be hardware problem.  You can see the card in Render Settings - Advanced - Devices (List), correct? Can you also find it in Windows Device Manager with no problem?  The status in Nvidia Control Panel is all fine?

• Yes, the device appears in the Render Settings - Advanced - devices list under the name 'CUDA 4294967295 - NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3070'. It also appears in Windows device manager. The Nvidia control panel is not something I usually look at or tweak, would the default settings cause any problems with using the GPU with DAZ? Is there some settings I need to change?

Nope, normally you don't need to change settings in Nvidia Control Panel, however, the 'Name' in Devices list looks strange to me, I've never seen that '429496.....' sort of long string before on my side.. it should be a number from 0 to x. I'm not sure if others have the similar case as yours...

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

Yes the "CUDA 4294967295" is a red flag... something is wrong with your Nvidia setup.

Have you by any chance installed any other Nvidia related software or utilities (SDK's, Iray developer packs or such)?

• I seem to have a number of nvidia apps I'm not familiar with on my system such as nvidia Nsight, nvidia frameview SDK and nvidia CUDA development 12.1. I have no idea what these are, or when I installed them.

edited June 2023

Oh my , are you an Nvidia developer ...?  I did not have any of these installed in my sys.. have no idea if one of them is the culprit or not. Maybe you may uninstall them (or one by one) and try again...

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited June 2023

Aorus Akali said:

nvidia CUDA development 12.1.

I have a faint recollection that it is not the first time, that one has messed up DS and Iray rendering.

The components included are conflicting with the current version of GPU drivers and Iray. Remove everything Nvidia related and reinstall the latest (working) GPU drivers.
    In the future, only install programs you know what they are for when you need them.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • johnmaxx09johnmaxx09 Posts: 16

Aorus Akali try nvidia driver 516.94 and also uninstall all other nvidia related apps except the driver

• I have managed to remove all the other nvidia stuff, and cleaned off the drivers to install the driver you have suggested. Even did a fresh installation of DAZ Studio for the hell of it, but still it refers to my GPU as that long number and it does nothing. Is my GPU up the creak? Damaged somehow maybe? It functions fine when playing games though, old and new.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

When you installed the driver, did you go to Custom and check the fresh install option? Have you tried deleting it in the device manager, making sure to remove the drivers check box, and restarting to let Windows install the driver? Then install the correct driver. I know it's weird but it solves problems.

• I have this same problem. 3070 won't render anything just as OP described. Honestly I've given up on using DAZ for the past like two months, but I check in on the forums now and then to see.if this is solved.

Without getting more information on your system, drivers, DS version and what are you trying to render, we cannot help and it isn't the same problem as the OP had.

- An 8GB GPU is very restrictive when used with the latest versions of DS and relatively recent assets, about half of the VRAM is used buy the baseload from Windows, DS, the scene and the necessary Working Space.

- How are you checking that the GPU is not used? The Task Manager doesn't show it in the default configuration.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036

I only have a 2080Ti and all the extra Nvidia developer and SDK stuff and mine works fine

(needed for my AI apps and Unreal Engine)

• There is a new GeForce driver 537.13, released today 8/22/2023.  As for me, I am using 528.49 (2/8/2023) with my RTX 3070ti.  It works well for DS and gaming.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

I have a 2080ti and haven't updated drivers in over a year and DS and all my VR games work perfectly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

• Lol. I figured at some point maybe Daz could proffer a known working setup, like such and such a 3070 with such and such a driver. This is not the only forum thread about this topic.

mickhsellergren said:

Lol. I figured at some point maybe Daz could proffer a known working setup, like such and such a 3070 with such and such a driver. This is not the only forum thread about this topic.

Like  FSMCDesigns said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Most of the problems are caused by people updating perfectly working systems, without knowing what they are updating and why.

• drucdruc Posts: 399
    edited August 2023

I noticed recently that my rendering was taking way longer than usual I am using Nvidia RTX 3060 and my driver is 31.0.15.3623. It shows in DAZ as mentioned above. How do I check if it is actually being used. When I check the task manager is says the CPU is close to or at 100% usage and GPU  

Post edited by druc on

druc said:

I noticed recently that my rendering was taking way longer than usual I am using Nvidia RTX 3060 and my driver is 31.0.15.3623. It shows in DAZ as mentioned above. How do I check if it is actually being used. When I check the task manager is says the CPU is close to or at 100% usage and GPU  

The default configuration of task manager doesn't show if the GPU is actually used.

GPU-Z is better
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

• mickhsellergrenmickhsellergren Posts: 5
    edited August 2023

correction I have 4070

Post edited by mickhsellergren on
  • drucdruc Posts: 399

I downloaded GPU-Z and my GPU is definately working when I render. Although I can't seem to post a picture here anymore. Previously I was able too.I go through the process and just get an "Uploading..." message but nothing more.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030
    edited August 2023

@druc, it is not you. The forums have had issues since June thereabouts. People have been posting to either the gallery or another location, and linking the URL to DAZ forums for posting. 

A few days ago, I had a render give me a fatal error on my WIN 10 laptop, which is a GTX 1080, 8GB VRam, 32 RAM. I haven't opened it back-up to see if the ferret I added at the last minute pushed it over the edge. But it is possible. There are just some things I can't render on that machine. I accept that. And this year's little disasters, one after another, has destroyed my plans to save for a new machine or rebuilding my big one. It bites but it is what it is.

Mary

Post edited by memcneil70 on