Odd behavior of computer mouse during rendering

Hi,

I wanted to know whether other DAZ users have/had a similar experience? My computer mouse behaves weirdly during rendering. It either misses mouse clicks or interprets single clicks as double clicks etc. This erratic behavior makes it very difficult to work with the PC while rendering in the background. I noticed that the odd mouse behavior seems to correlate with the fan speed on my GPU (RTX3060): it gets worse when the fan speeds up. The keyboard is working fine BTW.

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• It sounds as if events are being lost when the system is busy, though I'd have thought the event queue should cope with that. Still, it does sound like a system issue rather than specifically a Daz Studio/Iray issue.

• sgw1421sgw1421 Posts: 2

Richard Haseltine said:

It sounds as if events are being lost when the system is busy, though I'd have thought the event queue should cope with that. Still, it does sound like a system issue rather than specifically a Daz Studio/Iray issue.

That was also my suspicion: That somehow the event handling by Windows 10 is the cause for this and this may be a problem with allocation of system ressources. Is there something at the level of the Windows device manager or the BIOS that I can adjust?

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285

I'm going to guess that this is the Windows 10/11 100% CPU useage issue. There are a myriad of 'fixes' for this online but none work for any extended period. The older your Windows installation, the worse it seems to get - that's our experience at my little company. We have one rendering and compiling machine which is not connected to the net. All it does it run Windows 10 as it came, Studio, 3DS Max and Maya, Unity and Unreal. No updates apart from manually installed bug fixes for the applications. It does not suffer from this issue.

Our other PCs, used for content creation, are regularly updated with automatic MS updates and application updates. They do have this issue.

Simple fix - ctrl/alt/del, start task manager, and then move/resize or minimize the window, whatever works for you. Task Manager seems to fire the CPU interrupts to stop this 100% issue. 

There are undoubtedly more elegant solutions than the above but for a quick and dirty 'this just works' fix, especially if you don't want to go the whole hog and reinstall the OS, give it a try.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

You can set DAZ to use so many cores of the CPU. Render Tab>Advance Make sure the CPU as a renderer is unchecked and lower the use of CPU cores by two or more; 1 or two should do it. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012
    edited June 2023

Do you have CPU checked as a rendering device?
    The CPU is 10-20+ times slower than even the slowest supported GPU, there is no point in having the CPU checked, not only does it not make any significant difference in rendering speed, but it makes the computer sluggish and non-responsive.

How much RAM do you have?
    If you run out of RAM, windows starts using virtual memory (disk space) to compensate and once again the computer becomes sluggish and non-responsive at times.
    In practice, 32GB's of RAM should be considered the minimum amount of RAM for DS.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • sgw1421sgw1421 Posts: 2

Hi,

thanks for all the feeback and suggestions.

- CPU rendering is unchecked. CPU cores were set to 4, I will try whether lowering this setting to 3 or 2 makes a difference. Question: Is the #cores setting only relevant for CPU rendering or also for GPU rendering?

- My sytem RAM is 48 GB, which above the 3x VRAM recommendation (RTX3060 has 12 GB VRAM). Rendering is fast, so it's definitely the GPU that does the job.

- I will also try whether the trick with the task manager works