Auslan

CaetlynCaetlyn Posts: 76
edited June 2023 in Art Studio

I'm sure most of you have heard of American Sign Language. Did you know that different countries have their own sign language? I'm working on different signs for Australia (also known as Auslan) which you may or may not recongise. I'll attempt to post one letter a day. First up, the letter A. 

Post edited by Caetlyn on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,222

What's the sign for "chunder"?

• CaetlynCaetlyn Posts: 76

Gordig said:

What's the sign for "chunder"?

Since you asked (not sure why) ...

https://auslan.org.au/dictionary/gloss/vomit1a.html?lastmatch=vomiting-1 ;

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,375

You know how they say you can learn something new every day,  I did not know Auslan was an established shortform for Australia.  thanks for the info.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,876
    edited June 2023

Au S Lan Australian Sign Language 

I have a fat dictionary of them somewhere but only ever learned the alphabet 

not really used it except once or twice visiting a hospice across the road from my old school we used to play cards with the residents and there was an old man who was deaf and sometimes one had to spell out things he couldn't lipread

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited June 2023

I'm the same even though I've been fascinated with the language since high school. When I was nursing, I used to look after a cerebal palsy resident who was deaf and it came in rather handy when I had to fingerspell things to him. 

Post edited by Caetlyn on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

My eldest daughter knows Auslan and uses it where she works to help students in their daily life and a family friend does a lot of interpreting work using Auslan ..

very cool yes

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,375

WendyLuvsCatz said:

[snip]

Thanks for the clarification..

FirstBastion said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

[snip]

Thanks for the clarification..

Yes, sorry, I should've specified it in my initial post.