Making small town Main Street

lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,073
edited June 2023 in Art Studio

I make lots of book covers for cozy mysteries, some of which take place in homey small towns. Some in the UK but mostly in the US. Sadly, there are really no useable DAZ assets for this environment. So I decided to make my own.

I started with New York Stores. It’s a very efficiently made set, easy to work with. Most importantly the ground floor shops can be easily separated the from the upper floors. So that’s what I did. Then I used Geometry Editor to remove the bottom two floors from the upper part, and move the whole thing down to make three-story buildings fit for a small town.

The next step was making them more colorful. For the upper part adjusting base color of the brick, window frames, and cornices. To change the shopfronts in the middle I made alternate versions in Photoshop. It’s a work in progress; I plan to modify the corner buildings too.

Next step: props. Window boxes are from Harpsburg and Predatron Marigolds. Street props also from Harpsburg, plus Streets of Paris and Sweet Street. I did interiors for three stores in the middle because I needed them for something I’m working on. FG Bakeshop, Barbershop, and Clothes Shop.

I’m considering turning the restaurant on the left into a grocery store.

Post edited by lou_harper on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,871

cool kitbash yes

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Very nice

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,073

Thank you! Since posting I have half-converted the left corner building into a vintage diner. The right corner will probably become an antique store.

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 862

Very nicely done!! Hope you share more renders as you further update and outfit your small town Main Street! heart

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,247

you can also look at Quixel assets.  They are unlimited download/export if you use an Unreal Engine account to log in to Quixel.

Can import them to Daz Studio as obj and set up shader material.

They have a lot of city street assets if you cant find high quality on Daz Store.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,388

A very cool idea, and seems to work well, too! Are we gonna be seeing this kitbash on any upcoming covers? I don't know if it's okay for you to tell, but if so, I'd be curious to see it.

• David RDavid R Posts: 215

Probably can't sell it, since it's made up of existing assets.  That's a shame because i'd love to have something like this.  

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,777

I guess you're already aware of https://www.daz3d.com/mountain-valley

• David RDavid R Posts: 215

chris-2599934 said:

I guess you're already aware of https://www.daz3d.com/mountain-valley

Thanks for pointing this out.  It's exactly what I need.