Creating new skin for GF8

I have a skin from a GF1 that I want to use on my GF8 model.

I have used the Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Victoria 5.

It worked as I would have expected and I got a fabulous result.

I would now like to make this into a skin for the GF8 and GF8.1 models that I can just apply like any other .duf material file saved for a figure.

I have tried using the Save As: Hierarchical Materias but this results in the skin being applied without the geo-crafted maps. 

How do I create a new skin that fits on the GF8 model that is complete?

Thanks.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

You can't just save it as a preset since each figure has their own UV mapping and the new geograts that come with the cayman studio products are there to help with the different UV mapping.. You would need to find a program that can convert one UV map to another. You could try Ultimate Unwrap 3D, they have a tutorial from G2 to G8 https://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/tutorial_uv_mapping_repaint_mesh.aspx

• FSMCDesigns said:

You can't just save it as a preset since each figure has their own UV mapping and the new geograts that come with the cayman studio products are there to help with the different UV mapping.. You would need to find a program that can convert one UV map to another. You could try Ultimate Unwrap 3D, they have a tutorial from G2 to G8 https://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/tutorial_uv_mapping_repaint_mesh.aspx

Strictly, the grafts are to help with the different breakdown into surfaces - if the boundaries were the same then a simple remapping would work.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

Richard Haseltine said:

FSMCDesigns said:

Strictly, the grafts are to help with the different breakdown into surfaces - if the boundaries were the same then a simple remapping would work.

To be even more specific, the main problem is that the way polygons are distributed between texture files is different, and you sometimes would need to use parts of 2 different texture files to cover a single surface of the target figure, which is something DS can't do, so those surfaces need to be split.

OP, you said you used "legacy UVs - Victoria 5" so I assume the original skin uses V5 UVs. Since IIRC G2F also has V5 UVs, the tutorial in this thread to convert G2F textures into G3F textures with Blender might work to create a "G3F UVs" version of the textures, that you could use directly on G8F: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59665/tutorial-converting-textures-from-gen2-to-gen3/p1

• leo04leo04 Posts: 325
    edited June 2023

I guess it would be nice is someone made a product that dealt this it.

On another subject, I want to create a new skin based on the afore mentioned skin I applied to my GF8.1 to the Gens, (either male or female).

I tried using the Ultimate Iray Skin Manager but keep getting this Error message,

that I must apply the Iray Uber Base on all the skin, likps and nail surfaces.

How do I do that?

I have tried selecting the Genesis 8.1 model and using the RMB click, Merge into Scene, but this does not seem to work as I keep getting the same error after doing this.

Can someone explain how I accomplish this or perhaps point me to a tutorial on how to apply the Iray Uber Base shader to the skin, lips and nails?

Thanks everyone.

P.S. Can anyone tell me why I can't upload images?

Post edited by leo04 on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189

You can apply Iray Uber Base by selecting all skin, lips, nails in the surface setting, and then click Iray Uber Base in your shaders (Shaders > Iray > Uber > Iray Uber Base).

You can't upload images as the function in the forums is very unstable.

• leo04leo04 Posts: 325

Thank you.