UDIM for Victoria 4

Hi All

I'm trying to add a normal map to an old V4 texture set and having an issue with the stacked UV's.  There is a UDIM for Genesis but I'm looking for the same thing for any pre-genesis ... or any other work arounds anyone can think of.  Can the obj itself be manipulated in a text editor?

Post edited by lancelmartin_cf51987037 on

Comments

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited June 2023

@lancelmartin_cf51987037 :

What issue are you having with applying a normal map to an assigned UV map in a stacked map?

Does your software you are working with ONLY allow UDIM mapping for what you are trying to achieve?

Before anyone ever uttered the word UDIM, or programmer coded the UDIM UV spec, I was utilizing a UDIM workflow to stacked UV mapping in 3D modelling software with an infinite UV plane  --  Then someone had the bright idea to create a way to leave the unstacked UV's unstacked as laid out on a table (how all mine looked before I moved them all back to one stack in the 0,1 UV space), and everybody seams (yeah I did...) to go ga-ga for them.

You can create your own for V4 in 3D software that supports creating/using them, but I haven't seen any floating around that someone created/shared for others' use.

* EDIT:  I reread your post, and to answer your last question; Yes, you can manipulate the OBJ data in a text editor, but if you don't know the specs, values, and what is/is not available to a software's importer/exporter, it might not help you at all.  I have hand created OBJ files (basic shapes), and moddified hundreds in a text editor, but I have never tried to moddify UV data by hand.

It might be possible if you read an OBJ file with UDIM data, and try to extrapolate how to convert stacked UV data into unstacked UDIM designations, but I would imagine it wouldn't be as quick/easy as just remapping the stacked UV's to the UDIM tiles.

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,299
    edited June 2023

UDIMs are just separating the tiles by moving them a whole number of units along the U axis (or V, but U is the default). Victoria 4 already has a suitable mapping, the only thing it lacks is selecting all the polygons that belong to a single map and translating them a set number of units along the U axis - any tool that can edit UVs should be able to do that, it has always been possible to give coordinates outside the unit square (which then get wrapped back to the unit square, which is how the UDIM system works).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on